NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son called me to tell me that the strap broke on the boat winch on their pontoon trailer.

(1) - Is this replacable? Just the strap, not the winch... No desire to have to take off old winch and put on a new one if it's not needed. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd prefer to just replace the strap.
(2) Where do you find such a thing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My son called me to tell me that the strap broke on the boat winch on their pontoon trailer.

(1) - Is this replacable? Just the strap, not the winch... No desire to have to take off old winch and put on a new one if it's not needed. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd prefer to just replace the strap.
(2) Where do you find such a thing?

Thanks.
I just bought one at WalMart for $10, had to go to a couple to find one. Available online as well.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Will look into it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can buy strap with hook attached at Wally world, or most any store that sells fishing/boating gear. Not too expensive either.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Ditto Trigger sometimes the thread will give up before the Strap itself. Northern Tool usually has the straps as well.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Besides Walmart, Gander Mtn, and Bass Pro have them. One other thing to keep in mind is when you replace the strap make sure to crank on the winch until it gets tight to the boat eye. This will take more turns than you think it will because there is a lot of slack and stretch you are pulling out. After you launch the first time with the new strap use the winch to pull the boat back on the last couple feet. You will pull any remaing slack out of the strap.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Every boater should know how to tie a square knot, a half hitch and a bowline knot.
Its amazing how much I still use the knots I learned to this day. Especially the half hitch and taut line hitch.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I too needed to replace my strap on my winch. I went to Academy Sports, theirs cost $15.00, not bad. I then spotted a 2500lb wench on clearance for $24.99 so I went that route. Took all of 20 minutes to replace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts