NC Angler Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
@CBower, nice fish!

In the last few months, I’ve been turned onto night fishing for crappie. I’ve found that in the dog days of summer, when the air temps get into the 90s and the surface temps nearly as high, it tends to make the fish very sluggish in the daytime.

A more experienced crappie fisherman was kind enough to take me out and show me the ropes. He basically uses a green led fish light with the power cord through a long PVC pipe (6-8’), that he hangs over the side in a rod holder. The light is powered by a 12v battery. Then we used a pair of 6’-8’ rods on either side (smaller rod on the inside) with a small weight about 6” above a minnow hook, which we’d hook in the minnow in the back, below the dorsal fin. Keep a bunch of extra hooks on hand, as a lot of the crappie get hooked fairly deep and it’s easiest just to cut the line, throw the fish in your cooler or put it on a stringer, and re-tie.

We fished anchored in about 18’ of water and caught most of our fish about 10-12’ down, with the light placed right below the surface. We also used small glow sticks clipped to the ends of the rods to help us determine when we were getting bites. Some bites were very light, some fish grabbed the bait and swam sideways, and others slammed the rod violently (usually channel catfish).

It was much cooler and calmer at night with a lot less boat traffic, which is why it will probably become my preferred method of fishing for crappie in the summer from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’m running braid on my main line and 30lb mono on my leaders. I thought the 30 lb is overkill and it probably is but I haven’t noticed a decrease in catch ratio. A thinner leader line would probably get more bites but I’m running the heavier line so I can pull it off snags without losing my lures. I have also ran 12lb fluoro for my leaders and that works well too.

I make sure that I am moving forward before I drop my baits in the water. I like to hold my lures in the water and start forward motion to get the crank diving and the spinner blade spinning then I slowly let out line. The amount of line let out is one of the factors in the running depths of the lures as well as crankbait chosen and the weight of the whole set up.

I’m in Youngsville. If you ever want to join up and fish together let me know. I fished Jordan twice when I first moved here 3 years ago and haven’t been back since. I launched from Robeson Creek canoe launch.

~JOE~

21 - 22 of 22 Posts