NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past three days = two under slot drum on top Tuesday and ZERO yesterday AND today!
Not so much as a bump the past two days! Threw top water, bottom jigs and you name it in between. I even put the butt of the rod up to my mouth and pointed the tip at the water and spoke into it. This directs the sound waves directly into the water sort of like an antenna. This is a desperate measure used only in the most desperate times. My communication was completely ignored. Such sadness.
A friend fished the same area yesterday with live shrimp and got NOTHING!
AHHHHHH!
I saw several drum swim right by the bank of the islands I was standing on and my buddy said he saw them go by him as well.
How can they be so mean to me?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If you fish only the same school every time you go fishing, take one home with you.
Well it depletes the school & they get wiser.
Besides you, how many others are fishing that same school ?

Also been seeing lots of small baits; Shrimp, finger mullets, mud minnows almost everywhere I look.
Could be they are not hungry ...... ICM

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Big Goose Egg for me today. Bait everywhere, some swirls next to the boat that I would put my money on were Reds, buy no takers.
Started at 5:30 a.m. with top water, then tried Z-Mans swim baits, Popping Cork with Gulp Shrimp, Gulp Shrimp in a jig, but nothing.
Thank goodness for a breeze.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Couple things for this time of year. Water movement, outgoing or incoming is always important but during these hot days it is a MUST. Also, when I've caught fish lately I've caught most of them early morning, off the water no later than 10:30/11:00. Or late afternoon/evening if storms permit it.

Seen that you do a lot of topwater fishing, I do as well. You prob already do this but slowing the retrieve way down has been working some lately. At least gets one to take an interest. Then I've walked the dog faster to get him to commit after a swirl. Erratic stop-start retrieves, letting it pause longer than normal. Drum have been slow lately but flounder have been consistent in deeper water and docks, even the throw backs at least give a pull on slow days.

If you're fishing the creek area you gotta consider that the black bottom combined with shallow waters makes for high water temps, so they will not chase a bait as readily IMO. Another suggestion try fishing a "stand-up" jig head and hop it past them. When I've seen them feeding lately they're eating shrimp but it is tough to get a bite as of late.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent info. Two hours today and the top of the high and start of the out and no love on top or with other fakes.
Last year I caught fish during the heat but now up to four trips without a bite.
Oh well. That's fishing.
Thanks

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Same luck here, haven't got a drum in awhile. As much as I hate to fish live bait I might try to find a bay that is close to a flat. Reds might be deep in the cooler water in the bay and come to the flat to feed early mornings, etc.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Two blow ups yesterday without hook ups. Had to resort to finger mullets on a Carolina rig to fool 2 Reds.
And that was all we caught before the wind machine turn up to full speed.

Monday, one Red in a deep hole searching with jig head.
Back at the dock both days before noon. ......... ICM
View attachment 72231

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
WHAT?????????? ICM you need to get Mungo in the boat, take notes, and spread the knowledge. Between you and M., the Reds don't stand a chance.
But really, between you, Mungo, and UNCDUB (from Marker39) you guys can catch fish in a puddle on I-40.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Few people talk about the slow days or slow periods. I think there is a lot to learn by trying to analyse and get opinions on why fishing is slow. There is no reason to pick apart the things reasons why fish are biting like mad. Slow periods are good learning opportunities. Maybe. :)

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.