NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I really want to catch some trout from the surf in Atlantic Beach. Yesterday the wind was 10 to 20 mph and the surf was rough and muddy. This evening there was very little wind and clean water. Casted mirolures and managed 1 blue about 8 inches long. Now tomorrow looks nasty with rain and winds again. I figured today would have been good fishing at the beach. For the last 2 weeks it's been report after report about 20" trout "stacked up" along the beach. Am I missing something or am I just going on the days there are no trout in the Atlantic Ocean? What should I be looking for to determine if I need to go fishing or not or does Atlantic Beach suck that bad and I need to travel to Topsail to catch a friggin trout?

·
Red X Angler
2,484 Posts
The nets are in, weve had good wind since the front, winds n, ne, nw.. In other off the beach mirrolures and jigs, find the holes their there... If not throw some cutbait out there and hold on....

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well I know they dredged from Fort Macon all the way to the Sheraton at the beginning of the summer. Beach replenishment or something. Maybe that has messed up the beach front.
Yeah I do believe the beach renourishment definitely affects the fishing. I believe it probably fill in the cuts/sloughs closer to the beach.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A couple things to add.

A. The surf fishing being better at EI is arguable. I think most people think that is the case due to reports getting out. People are pretty tight lipped up this way. 2 years ago east of Oceana was one of the best trout bites they've seen here in decades. They were so thick some days you could throw out and snag them with 52's.

B. They do not dredge the beach. They pump some sand in from the channel some years but that was 2 years ago.

C. You need to go east from New Bern St. East = towards Ft. Macon. The net on the end with the tractors is the stop net. just look for all of the trucks and guys in waders.

D. What time of day are you fishing? When they are really going strong you can catch fish during the day, but in the surf the best bites are the first 30 minutes of light and the last 30 minutes and into the night. 2 years ago there were multiple nights out there (right in front of New Bern St.) where before dark there wasn't a single fish caught with at least a 100 people fishing. Once it got dark all but 3 or 4 of us left and then it turned on. We had several nights that were a fish every cast. Don't be afraid to throw an MR17 either on those calm days/nights. 26 BG is a decent color ;).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We fished til dark when we were there last. No one else was catching anything either so it wasn't just us. I heard all the reports last year about that spot. I just wasn't sure if there was a better wind to fish or any weather that is just better for trout off the beach.

As far as it being 2 years since they pumped sand...we watched them at the beginning of this past summer. There was a 4 foot diameter pipe laying on the beach that stretched from fort macon to the pier and you could hear the sand and water pumping through it and you could see the dredge about 30 feet off the shore with a rooster tail of sand shooting up in the air, so they were doing something just off the beach. The inmates at the prison I work for that are assigned to atlantic beach, worked the pipe line piling sand on it so people could cross it to get to the water.

·
Registered
272 Posts
They may have done some this year but the major one was two years ago. They spend about 6 months out there. Either way the fish still bit after it.

The best wind is a North. It does 3 things. Makes the surf calm, clears the water up as a result of this, and sometimes pushes new fish out into the surf.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went out on Friday and the surf was rough and about the color of watered down chocolate milk. Saturday evening the surf was very calm and a pretty green color. So I just knew I would catch fish. But I didn't. I am sure my lack of success was a combination of different things. I fished for them last year and have started out this year the same way...getting skunked. There was a rip next to us with the mushroom cloud shape and I fished both sides of that. I have caught drum there and blues but never a trout. I will keep at it though. I have never caught one from the beach, just from a boat. Once I get the hitch put on the jeep I can get back to catching them but I really want to pull one from the suds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.