NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished a jon boat tourney at the river this morning. The second fish I caught this morning nailed the fool out of my jig. This is what I came in with. First thought was a crappie, then bass, then I thought it was some deformed escapee from Harris!!!!

Fishing net Seafood Fish Fish products Fin
Seafood Fisherman Fish Fishing Ray-finned fish

Had a real small mouth and a either a huge humpback or deformed. Had a tooth patch like a spotted bass but colors like a largemouth.
Biggest thing I saw all day was on a trot line, dead. Water Water resources Light Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sunlight

It was about 3 pounds.
Found this in livewell after it was over Arthropod Organism Plant Decapoda Crab

Lost a couple ounces with that. Not that it mattered, I missed money by a long ways.

Winner had about 15 pounds, second had 13. Big was 5 pounds. I fished main river, should have went up the creeks:rolleyes:. Oh well.

Heading to the Eno in the morning. Should be a better day.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the state did stock spots in the upper caps fear. It is an odd looking one. Buddy of mine caught an 8# bass with a hump like that in a private lake. Crazy looking fish.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That fish is just a funky spot. Spots were not directly stocked in the Fear but they were stocked Below buckhorn in 4 streams, 1978. Parkers, advents creek, upper and lower little river. They then quickly populated the cape fear and it was only downstream in all of these streams. 2 years ago I caught my first spot above buckhorn so either someone has thrown some from below the dam over the dam or they found another way. This is a spot caught 2 years ago ABOVE buckhorn. been catchin spots below buckhorn since 1990
. Fisherman Fish Ray-finned fish Fishing Fin

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Id say the humpback could be a spot based on appearance. I suppose if spots are below the dam, it would only take a few birds dropping them or fishermen catching and releasing to get them above the dam.

Someone in my bass club once weighed in a 13" bass at the CF river that had a 1" thread on its tail that was enough to make it measure over 14" and be a legal keeper... pretty bizarre.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.