NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening, ncangler user swampin' and I hopped in the canoe with some live (and dead) bream and launched into the cape fear river outside of Erwin nc In search of some flatheads. We ended up getting out there later than we expected, and as it got dark we wedged the canoe in some rocks at the lower end of a set of falls. We each threw out a couple of lines downstream of us, and sat on the rocks in wait of some action. Our lines with live bream and 2 oz slip rigged sinkers did little but get snagged in the plentiful rocks in this stretch of the river, but our free lined half bream brought about some excitement. Before long, I had something take my line out, but like a dummie, I attempted to set the circle hook I had in my bait, and yanked the bait out of the assailant's mouth. Right as dark hit, Cody and I were talking, and I noticed his bait caster rod start to do the dance, and it was fish on! Brought in a 2 and a half foot long flathead that weighed in right at 10 pounds. We were both very exited to catch exactly what we were targeting. Hoping to find some actual holes later this week so we can hook something with size to pull us back to the put-in! Feel free to comment with any suggestions, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I target flatheads alot and I would suggest using off set J hooks like Eglaeclaw l-42 or kayles hooks. I think circlehooks work great for blues in heavy current but not flatheads. Try hitting the outside bends of the river and channel ledges with structure.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I target flatheads alot and I would suggest using off set J hooks like Eglaeclaw l-42 or kayles hooks. I think circlehooks work great for blues in heavy current but not flatheads. Try hitting the outside bends of the river and channel ledges with structure.
I think I will go back to J hooks next time as well, I can't control my trigger finger enough for circle hooks haha. We weren't able to get out early enough to pinpoint a lot of good channel edges, but thursday we plan on getting out there early and doing some bass/gar/whatever's biting fishing and some exploration for deeper sections. It's awfully rocky out there, so the channel will move from one side of the river to the other regardless of bends. Daylight ought to take the guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Congrats, hopefully that baby flathead is just a teaser to get you to go back.:)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Good luck looking forward to your next post and pictures.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I fished the Cape fear river one time years ago. I fished around Burlow around the 2#Lock. From what i seen there was so much wood structure, I don;'t think circlehooks would be a good option. For if you let them run they get into snags right quick. I was pretty stunned by how many trees and stumps were on the bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts