NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and user swampin' are gonna take his canoe out to the cape fear river around Erwin, nc for some flatheads this afternoon/evening. I've always fished for cats from shore, and really only had limited luck. Anybody have any recommendations on how we should go about hooking some monsters? I plan on catching some bream to keep alive for bait, as well as buying some eels if they are available at the bait shop nearby.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you're going to the 217 bridge I would go upstream as far as I could and find a deep hole or two below the big rapids. Then find a way to keep the boat in place so that you can cast a bait into the hole. If you go downstream from the bridge you will have a hard time trying to get back up to the put in.

·
Registered
680 Posts
There's not really anything I would call a bend between the bridge and Smiley's Falls, which are the rapids I mentioned. The river is fairly straight in that section. One quick glance downstream from under the bridge will make it obvious that you will have a hard time getting back up to the launch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts