NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone suggested me to fish at cape fear river.

I have heard there are 3 locks there, which one do you guys think is better? The person suggested lock#2, how exactly do I get there from Raleigh/Apex area?

Also, does anyone know any shops around there that sell live eel ?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
40 east to 95 south then take 87 south at Fayetteville. Lock #2 is located at Elizabethtown. However, I have fished both #3 and #2 and caught large catfish. The state record Flathead was caught at Lock #3 that weighed 78 pounds. There were some stories in the local paper around the same the same time frame about local fisherman consistantly catching 40 pound + cats. However, I haven't heard much about it lately. Lock 3 will be a closer drive for ya, as well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gander Mountain in Fayetteville sells live eel I do believe. If you are fishing for food, I have always heard the fish south of Fayetteville are full of human fertilizer, don't know if I would fish that dam, maybe go on down to Elizabethtown which is about 40 miles from Fayetteville. If I were you, I would try to find somewhere around Lillington instead as its up river from the fertilizer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

backlash - when you said large catfish, how large are we talking about here?

I am gonna try lock#3 first since it is closer to me. I am not fishing for food, I am fishing for size and fun :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Lock No.3 (WM. O Huske Dam) is about 17 miles south of Fayetteville down Hwy 87. You will take a left on SR 1355 (I believe that its Called Glengery Road) to Tolar Landing. This link gives you a little more info.

William O. Huske Dam

The last time I fished it , which was several years ago, we were catching fish between 10 and 20 pounds. However, I understand that the electroshockers may have put a hurt on the river catfish by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.