NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

I live near fayetteville and i usually go to riverside sports center and put my boat in and try to catch catfish, but the weird thing is that i hardly ever catch anything there except a couple of times i caught some bream, i have tried everything to catch catfish what do u suggest i do?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome aboard!! I would suggest heading down hwy 87 to lock number 3. There's a ramp there and I have caught a lot of nice Cats there in the past. Not to mention, The State record for Flathead(78) pounds) was pulled from that hole. I don't hear as much about it as I used to but they were pulling 30 pound plus fish from that water on a regular basis.

Also, there are several lakes on Fort Bragg that are intensely managed for catfish. If you are up for some bank fishing but you need a Fort Bragg license.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
there's a place in erwin that is allowed to be fished. It is privately owned but you are allowed to fish there. I believe the road is 217. Go across the bridge of the cape fear and you are there on the right.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fishing below lock and dam 3 has always been more productive for me also. Try using some of those smaller bream that you catch for bait and eels work really well also. I just rig them up on a single hooked carolina rig. Fish the mouth of creeks and the slow current side of bends in the river the cats tend to lay up in these areas.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have heard of some big cats coming out of the section of the Cape Fear that I fish (Just below the Jordan Lake dam). Alot of people use spring lines tied off to trees. Cant go wrong with chicken livers or cutbait for catfish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here, but not to catching big catfish.

Use the freshest bait you can catch. Fresh bluegill or bream is great for the big flatheads. Cutbait like shad, herring, or eels will get you into the blues. The blues like the current and will be feeding on ledges on the outside bends when they are active. Any anomaly on the bottom will hold fish. Big no roll sinkers and some big circle hooks (4/0-10/0) are standard gear.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello

I live near fayetteville and i usually go to riverside sports center and put my boat in and try to catch catfish, but the weird thing is that i hardly ever catch anything there except a couple of times i caught some bream, i have tried everything to catch catfish what do u suggest i do?
:confused:
Hey man whats up, I usually fish from there as well if i dont go to the beach, but anyways whenever you put your boat in at riverside go up river, PWC will be on your left. Fish that spillway there with some red worms or nightcrawlers for bluegill take a bucket and an airrator to keep the bait alive. When you catch a dozen or so bluegill head further up river and find you a place that you would like to fish. Take one of those live bluegill and put his a$$ on a 5/0 circle hook with about an ounce of wait at the bottom and your hook about a foot up from the weight and start lining baits up from the bank to the center of the river. Switch them up a little bit use some cut bait, cutum up and put peices on the hooks and chunk em out there. Set them in the rod holders if you have them if not set the drag and let them set on the side of the boat. Youll know when one smacks it. Sit back drink a beer and relax theyll come to ya. Im going to be down there tomorow. Tight lines..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tell me bout it. I too fish the cape fear from around rockfish creek up to PWC hoffer plant. I have never had trouble finding and catching cats. But i've been out of it for a while and just recently started fishing the river again and it seems that I can't buy a bite. I've tried river bends, creek mouths, deep holes and any structure that I could find. I'm going to go down to the locks and try there next i think. sorry I dindn't have an answer but I feel your pain. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Iv had some luck with cats fishing the log jams between the rockfish creek mouth and the ramp on 87 after arnet part. The is a pipe about halfway between the 95 bridge and rockfish creek that has produced for me on that side and the oppisite side of the river. Move around alot. I usually will sit no more than 30 min in one spot out there. Just gotta find em. There always hungry imo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.