NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm trying to land my first striper and plan on trying to do some trolling or casting for them in the next few months around the NC battleship in Wilmington, Any advice such as what lures, bait, depth, tides, time of day, current, speed of boat would be awesome. I have been told deep diving lures and eels are good, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Around the battleship and north I have better luck casting but have caught some trolling. South of the Memorial Bridge it's just the opposite. If you fish the banks north of the battleship (Point Peter) there is a lot of rusty wreckage in the water. It attracts stripers and thus is a popular place to fish. But you will loose some tackle there so be prepared. Also I recommend braided line with a fluorocarbon leader.

White or light colored lures seem to work best. I use the Calcutta swim shads - they are inexpensive and work well. Bucktails tipped with gulp strip bait also works well.

Good luck, hope you catch 'em up!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hmmm... What's the traffic and current situation like around there? Is that a yakkable area? It'd be neat to paddle past the battleship -- but not close enough to bother Charlie the alligator (isn't that his name??)... To snag some stripers in the process would be a big plus!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hmmm... What's the traffic and current situation like around there? Is that a yakkable area? It'd be neat to paddle past the battleship -- but not close enough to bother Charlie the alligator (isn't that his name??)... To snag some stripers in the process would be a big plus!
There is a VERY strong current in that river especially on an outgoing tide.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
...which explains why Cape Fear Kayaks doesn't run their fishing tourney series up there. Good Enuf!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
moto Cross Freak, You Might Want To Try Some Different Types Of Rattle Traps Also, Fish Them At Different Depths Untill You Have A Bite Or See A Rock Chasing Your Bait, Ta Is Right On With Swim Baits ,An I Have Caught Several Rock On Spinner Baits. My .02, Good Luck To You..................chris

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey TA, where is the best place to launch down there, and is a eighteen foot jon boat doable. I know where to fish down there via some friends, but they fish bigger boats. Been thinking about trying it for a while.
There's a ramp right under the memorial bridge on the Wilmington Side. The current is really strong at times so it's best to have a second person with you to help with the trailering. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problem in an 18' jon boat.

Fished both inlets down my way today, still not much in the way of specks. Flounder and drum are still here though. Lots of 30" plus drum on the shoals on both sides Rich's. There were about 15 boats there too :mad: (including yours truly).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are there stripers in that area already?? I thought they moved south around January. If there are stripers there, I may have to pull the boat down this weekend and give them a try.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hired a guide to go Striper fishing in that exact same area last year in late December. We used Rapala Husky Jerks, DT16's, and even some top-water to land several nice Striper. Casting and trolling were both productive.
I'm coming back this year and am considering putting my 18ft'er in the Cape Fear and giving it a shot myself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have seen posts by guys that fish from yaks for them. I'm sure that caution is required, that would be a bad place to flip a yak or in my case a small canoe. Any yakkers wanna chime in on some good areas to try for those that are "propeller impaired" like myself?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.