1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cape Hatteras ORV bill killed in U.S. Senate committee
By Catherine Kozak
The Virginian-Pilot

Legislation that Outer Banks beach driving proponents had hoped could undo a contentious agreement on off-road vehicle access in Cape Hatteras National Seashore was killed Thursday in a Senate committee.
Sponsored by U.S. Sens. Richard Burr and Elizabeth Dole, both North Carolina Republicans, the bill would have restored the interim ORV management plan that was in place before April, when a more restrictive consent decree was approved by a federal judge.

The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee’s 11-12 vote along party lines, with Democrats opposing, makes passage of a companion House bill or revival of the Senate bill doubtful.

“I don’t know how to handicap that, I really don’t,” said Dare County Board of Commissioners Chairman Warren Judge. “We’re certainly going to keep up our efforts. We’re just going to keep at it.”

Complete Story: Cape Hatteras ORV bill killed in U.S. Senate committee | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I think the next legislation that should be introduced is an excise tax on Binoculars, Birkenstocks and those gift baskets of organically grown coffee that the Audubon Soceity likes to hawk. This money could help pay for the upkeep of these areas that sportsmen have been paying for that they are now being denied access to. Then Sportsmen should organize and raise money to file ridiculous lawsuits draining the budgets of the federal agencies in court.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What have organizations like the audobon society or the sierra club ever done? Look at what real preservation and conservation minded groups such as DU and The Safari Club done. All the tree huggers can do it complain and moan like they always have. They just love to argue, no action, just argument. It's unbelievable that they have such a voice but sportsmen who pay millions of dollars have no voice in issues like this. I believe it was a couple of years ago in the northwest where firemen were going to pull water out of a stream that house salmon to stop a fire in a building I think. Well the tree huggers got wind of it quick and didn't allow it and as a result a couple of firemen died. It's hard for people to realize who the REAL conservationist are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts