NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tadpole1 and I made a mad dash to Cape Lookout Tues as I had the day off, the weather forecast was good and reports said the albies were in! We left Fayetteville at 3:30 AM for the approx 3 hr trip to Morehead where we launched uneventfully at the wildlife ramp. The first new experience of the day was boating in pea soup like fog. Thank goodness for channel markers and my Lowrance chart plotter. We inched along until well outside Beaufort inlet until the fog started to lift. Fortunately we were greeted with almost slick calm conditions with only a slight swell. By the time we started to inch down Shackleford bank we started to see birds working. Soon we saw fish breaking on the surface and we had the school all to ourself! No other boaters around. It was not long before Jim yelled "fish on". I think he was surprised at how hard they pulled. I think he used descriptors such as "truck", "anchor", etc. He was worried he would be too worn out to continue fishing. After about a 10 min fight he landed his first ever albie (12#). The fog continued to lift and we saw fish breaking all over. At one point there was easily at least an acre of albies and birds and we had them to ourself! Over the course of the day we landed about 6 albies and broke off more. I was fortunate enough to get 3 on the fly. We also latched on to numerous bluefish that were a respectable 2-3# and pulled pretty well in their own right. Jim topped off the day with a catch that was not able to be landed. I will let him tell the story, but just be aware that an Abu-Garcia baitcast reel spooled with 300 yards of 30# braid, is no match for a Grady-White center console T-top with dual outboards! We ended the day traversing another large thick fog bank that covered the Crystal coast and the inlet. After re-trailering the boat we had a scrumptuous gourmet meal at Sonic drive in and drove safely home where we arrived at about 9PM.

I slept in today!

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
good Job Guys, Jim Just How Hard Did That Grady White Pull, What I Reaity Want To Know Is Did You Land That Grady White, Looks Like You All HaD A Great Day, Guess I Should Have Went With You, We Only Caught A Few Specks And 1 Flounder.thanks Again For The Invite................chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Keith is being humble just as he always is. I only boated one Albie and lost one when I foolishly changed the drag during the fight and lost one to the Grady White. The story on the Grady White fish is I had a large Albie on and could not reel any of the line, the fish was just too heavy for my Abu 6500 with 30 lb braid and I was afraid he would get off so as soon as Keith boated his (we had dubs on) he was about to turn the boat around and go to the fish when here comes the worlds dumbest Grady White owner or either the worlds most inconsiderate. He had what, the whole Atlantic ocean to move over away from Keiths 22 ft boat but instead chose to come within I'll say 40 yards of our boat and there goes my fish and line, fortunately I had a mono backer on or this fools prop would have a baitcast rod and reel wrapped around it instead of my braided line. The blues were so abundant we could have caught 100 if we had wanted, a hit on every cast practically. It was a great fishing experience.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!! I need to get on the water!

·
Registered
664 Posts

Notice in Keith picture the two minnows. One is a real glass minnow the Albie spit up and the other in a Keiths special he caught him on. Pretty good likeness huh?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
What else were you guys catching them alberts on besides flies? A buddy of mine and his dad hooked up with 2 fat alberts today at the cape lookout jetty but lost them in the rocks. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was using a 9 wt but a 10 wt wouldn't be too much! That is the prefered wt by many. The 8wt is nice for the blues. I heard they were catching them inside the inlet this last weekend. Look for the bait and you will find the albies.
Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.