NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to the board, ben_fishn (nice screen name too). I fish south of there (New River Inlet to Masonboro Inlet) and the specks are biting very well. Folojoy (another member of this board) lives north of ya and he's been tearing the specks up too. So chances are good they are biting near the jetty. Baits I've used or seen reported are Mirrolures, gummy worms, finger mullet, Berkley Gulp and now the Bass Assasin in the electric Chicken motiff.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
ben_fishn--- I heard the bite was big inside the hook this weekend. One of the best speck runs in a while. I think they are hitting most anything you can throw at them thats presented correctly right now. Expect plenty of company on weekends like walking across boats. GOOD LUCK!! Welcome to the board and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just talked to a friend on the phone who is fishing there today. only about 6 boats there yesterday and not much happening today either. im going down tomorrow. anybody know any other hot spots for sea mullet ot trout?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not much luck this weekend at the cape. caught alot of small ones on friday and saturday i caught some nice trout but not many. mostly caught them on gulp shrimp and salt water assassin "electric chicken". i saw one boat doing really good with live shrimp but couldnt find them at the bait shops. i think the water temp is still to warm for the larger specks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
ben_ fishn--- If you have a cast net, you can catch live shrimp with it on the way to Harkers Island. On hwy 70 between Beaufort and turn off to Harkers Island you will go over North River bridge and the next bridge will be Ward Creek bridge. On the south side of the Ward Creek bridge before you cross it, right at the edge of the marsh, has always been a hot spot to catch live shrimp. If the large ones are in there you may want to eat shrimp and forget about the trout:D or any of the tidal ditches will usually produce shrimp even in cold weather. A minnow bucket is all you need to keep them alive.

Good Luck, Forrest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.