NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks To 1sarg. I Had Another Great Day On The Water Fishing, We Caught The Sunrise, And We Caught Fish, What More Could You Ask For................chris

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Found this new post on another forum. Info is verified........

Calico Jacks Marina & Motel will be staying open for the winter months! With trout/drum/tuna fishing still going strong, this gives folks the option to head down to Harkers and go out of Bardens inlet to get to the jetty and the Cape! Kudos to the folks at Lo'r Deck for keeping this operation going while the fishing is still hot! Good Fishing!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Drop. Ramped out of CJ's many times in past years - closest ramp to the cape. There's something special about the cape lookout area that keeps me coming back year after year, and I always seem to enjoy the run even when the fish ain't bitin'. Rounding the hook is a magical place for me - gateway to the Atlantic on the way out and always welcome and comforting when returning from a long and sometimes weary day at sea.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I havent had the pleasure of fishing the area yet. How big of a boat do you need out there in good seas??

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a darn good answer, Topsail :) The size and type of boat, along with the seaworthiness and temperament of the fisherman might best determine what your definition of “good seas” might be. For me and my 21’ Carolina Skiff, at my age and ability to pick my days, it means 2’ or less. The swell, wind speed, and direction, can all play upon the condition of the seas at this particular location. Not being able to change any of that, the side of the rocks you choose to anchor up to can make a marginal day tolerable. In a small boat, you’re also wise to consider the changing sea and wind conditions as the day unfolds, lest you risk a very uncomfortable, and possibly dangerous ride back in to and through the inlet. In a small boat, with a N or NE wind, (which I prefer while fishing the rocks here) once you get in that inlet, you can expect a slow and wet ride back to the dock. Sorry I can’t make it more simple than that. My advice would be to go out a few times with someone in his boat, that has some experience with reading and knowing the general sea conditions in that area. ;) Hope that helps.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Dave, wasn’t necessarily referring to the “secret” rock jetty with my comment of how nice the Cape area is. :p There is actually a lot of area and places aside from the jetty in that area to fish, though one might not know it by reading the fishing reports of Cape Lookout. That said, the rocks there can be nice – real nice - on certain days and at certain times of year.

Dave

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That tells me what I need to know..guys. There are several places along the coast I just need to plan a day to "try" and make sure I have a back up plan so I dont get my feelings hurt!! LOL!!!
My boat is an old mid 70's 15' walk thru trihull. It was intended for lakes and rivers I suppose, but it rides (for a trihull) well, and floats high so I thought I may branch out a bit!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
10-4 TC! I'll listen to your experience for sure.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Pierman I bet my big 450lb butt would sink that thing!! I might be able to put one under each cheek like Pontoons..LOL!!!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
SUNDROP ID TAKE THAT BET AND YOUD REGRET CAUSE ITS THE MEANEST SUN OF A GUN IVE EVER MET LOL IVE HAD 3 PEOPLE WITH A TOTAL COMBINED WIEGHT OF ALMOST 2 TIMES THAT MUCH ;) AND WAS RUNNIN A 2.5 HORSE JOHNSON ON IT,DID JUST FINE

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
what is the premier time for heading to the jetty to catch trout. I was thinking late september/early october, or does it need to be later? thanks

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
what is the premier time for heading to the jetty to catch trout. I was thinking late september/early october, or does it need to be later? thanks

Let me know when your ready chris, I like fishing there

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Let me know when your ready chris, I like fishing there
haha alright we can take the carolina skiff out by then! ;) park boat company in washington is liquidating their boat inventory and i know they sale carolina skiffs, just thought i would mention it in case you were still looking, may be able to find a deal!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
haha alright we can take the carolina skiff out by then! ;) park boat company in washington is liquidating their boat inventory and i know they sale carolina skiffs, just thought i would mention it in case you were still looking, may be able to find a deal!
Nope my 218DLV is parked in my yard at Emerald Isle :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
well guys when you look at one of my old post me and my wife went out there in my boat last year and it was the end of oct and the first of nov... well lets just say we were catching gray trout and there was 3 of us on the boat and we caught our limit of 18 to 21" fish in about 30 min....

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f3/morehead-fishing-report-10990.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.