NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of going out to cape lookout for a day surf fishing, mostly for a change of scenery and for less crowded beaches. Looking on the NPS site, there are several ferry services that will take vehicles across. Is there a preferred one to use? Do I need any permits to drive out there? Any other advice or things I should know about going there?

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Most people fish on the south end which is 14 miles south of the ferry drop off. Its fine but there is great surf fishing all over out there if you can read the surf. Personally I go north from the ferry area. You can either use the Jeep Trail or the beach. You must have a 4 WD. Its about $75 for a round trip ferry ticket and you must have a reservation. Its a wonderful place.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wife wanted to check out the lighthouse area, I'm assuming it's possible to drive up near it and park? I have 4wd so no issue there. I'm defiantly looking forward to the change of scenery and less crowded beaches.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You will surely see plenty of deserted sand on your ride down to the south point.
If your wife wants to see the light house that is the direction you'll head. There is parking as well as a museum. You can even climb it for a small fee. They have an outdoor shower and little store.
I have always used Davis Shore Ferry service. Very nice and helpful. They always have all the bait and ice you will need.
You can also rent a cabin, since your wife is joining you, if you decide to go over for a couple days. Even if I go over in July it is never to hot in the cabins with a nice sea breeze.
Please take plenty of bug spray. Especially if you'll be exploring around the light house, etc. They can get nasty back there.
Have fun, it is one of our true gems along the coast.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
You will surely see plenty of deserted sand on your ride down to the south point.
If your wife wants to see the light house that is the direction you'll head. There is parking as well as a museum. You can even climb it for a small fee. They have an outdoor shower and little store.
I have always used Davis Shore Ferry service. Very nice and helpful. They always have all the bait and ice you will need.
You can also rent a cabin, since your wife is joining you, if you decide to go over for a couple days. Even if I go over in July it is never to hot in the cabins with a nice sea breeze.
Please take plenty of bug spray. Especially if you'll be exploring around the light house, etc. They can get nasty back there.
Have fun, it is one of our true gems along the coast.
Bullseye. There are some excellent fishing holes on the beach just south of the lighthouse that are usually vacant. The point itself and the rock jetty see most of the people.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
The only tricky area's are getting on and off the beach access area's. They tend to run soft. Like most surf fishing 4WD beaches there are usually some good grooves from other vehicles to stay in, and of course you can run down closer to the water on the packed stuff though I don't recommend it (break down or get stuck and lose a vehicle to the tide not to mention a $1,000 tow bill). I air down my stock Tahoe to 18psi and keep it in 4 high. Never got stuck.

A couple other words of wisdom on CALO. You will almost certainly be checked for license and have your catch examined. The speed limit on the Jeep trail is 25. Don't be drinking and driving. What I'm saying is...it's remote but heavily enforced. Play by the rules and you will have a great time.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Water Sky Shorts Cloud Flash photography
Cloud Water Sky Shorts Bermuda shorts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.