NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
nice haul but i'd be willing to bet that bottom red in the last pic was a tad over the limit...
Perspective. Look at the hand holding the hose. Highly doubt someone would post pics on here of a dead overslot they killed for everyone to see anyways.

I don't believe I've seen this rule here but other fishing forums I go on have a rule about not questioning the legality ones catch. It only leads to problems IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to dismiss any doubt you may have a park ranger inspected our catch on the beach. I always play by the rules and for your information that was the only two out of the six we caught that were small enough to keep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice catching Shadrap52. Looking forward to getting up there later in the year. BTW, when I'm back in my winter camp, I get my sausage and liver mush from a friend on Mazeppa Rd.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
I've got 2 'no way's' on this thread.

#1. No way you can accurately gauge the size of a fish through a photo.

#2. No way you are going to keep an illegal fish on Cape Lookout and not get caught. Last time I fished there I was checked three times in three days by different agencies.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Illegal fish leave that island all the time. Don't kid yourself.
The last dozen times I've been, I haven't been checked.
Lot of places to hide fish on a drum wagon.
Most of your serious drum fishermen fish by night, sleep by day. It gets dark out there at night.

That aint counting what leaves the island in the digestive tract of humans.

There is a section of society that has drum fished the Outerbanks for decades. Their whole lives. Had standing dates every year for a group trip for decades. Made runs down there just to bring the drum home.
Then somebody comes in and says you can keep 1 drum a day in a slot?

I have quite a few friends and acquaintances that drum fish. There aint many of them that I would trust to throw ALL of them back. That's just the way it is. Some people are not going to be told what to do when they have been doing it a certain way their whole life.
Same things SOME commercial fishermen do.

Some of the worst offenders I know are the ones with ocean front property. They paid the high price of the property and they pay the high insurance. They feel if they want out of slot drum for supper they'll just run him up to the house. Entitlement mentality. I couldn't count how many times I've seen that at different places I fish and KNOW some of those people!

But who am I.
Just the guy standing on the beach and watching. Paying attention.

By the way, you are correct on the photo thing.
It's a 2D image. A lot is missed with that and all is not what it appears always.
Ever notice how people hold a fish with their arms extended towards the camera? Makes the fish look much larger than it really is. This particular fish was the closest to the camera.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
I am aware of those guys Drum Runner. They're the same guys who long for the days of no enforcement of the laws out there (the Willis Fish Camp days). The guys who (or whose parents) abandoned vehicles out there. The guys who decide for themselves which laws they obey and don't obey. The guys who drunkenly drive through a marked nesting area. The guys who clean out a school of fish and complain a few years later about the lack of fish. You might call them friends. I wouldn't.

Cape Lookout is threatened now by the other end of the spectrum. The eco-Nazi's who want nobody out there at all. Somewhere between the two groups is a sensible solution for both the sportsman and the ecology.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I like sausage and liver mush. Do you come up this way to hunt?

I'll pm his # to you if you like and if I can find it here. Still have a home in Rowan. Use to be an avid bird and duck hunter but it's been a few years now. Might take up hog hunting and make my own sausage and mush this winter.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You might call them friends. I wouldn't.

My friendships aren't based upon a fish or limited to a fish or preservation of a fish. They aren't even based on political leanings even though I am a very political person. My friendships aren't even based on someone's less than stellar actions. I'm not that shallow. There is much more to a friend than that.

The US House has said yea to a bill to open the beaches back up on Hatteras and to end some of this over reach by NPS and special interest groups. Harry Reid in the Senate of course has denied it be heard in the Senate. That will probably soon change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks flound1. Just wanted to share our success,and how we caught em. Tryin to help someone else!! And I found myself being accused of doing something wrong based on an opinion of a photo? Don't appreciate it much,but 99.999% of the people on here are wonderful people! I'm a Red X member,and this site rocks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.