NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need info on places in Fayetteville to fish that are super easy to get to and fish. Mobility is the problem. Would like to fish the capefear river if possible, but don't know of any place to go.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Steve

·
Red X Angler
3,567 Posts
I have not been there for awhile but Rhodes Pond between Dunn and Fayetteville has a nice pier with easy access. Parking right at the pier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Multiple boat ramps with walking paths to fish along the Cape Fear. Do you have access to a boat? Military?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a boat anymore. Became too hard to use, so it was sold. I don't have a military/post license either. I have all of the state fishing lisences, trout stamp, coast, etc...

I'm not sure what boat ramps there are. I do know of the one down off person street, but that's it for Fayetteville.

i was wondering if there was any easy access along the Clark Park River Trail. I have a fishing cart that I bought for surf fishing and pier fishing, which I can use for local fishing too.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not been there for awhile but Rhodes Pond between Dunn and Fayetteville has a nice pier with easy access. Parking right at the pier.
Hi,

Good idea. I've seen that place, just never stopped. Drove right on by it a few times. I might give that one a try on a weekend. I'd like to find somwthing ight here in town that I could easily setup at and fish. I'd enjoy catching catfish too. I like to catch fish that I can take home to eat.

Thanks,

steve

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Rhodes pond just about drained last year to repair the dam, and a few years ago there was a fish kill I've been told. Tons of gar and bowfin last time I went but that was before they drained it. No idea if it's recovered as far as game fish go but if it's not right near you I don't think it's worth the trip. Beautiful place to paddle around though and you may just get to see the Rhodes pond alligator!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My suggestion would be lock and dam 3. About 18 miles out of Fayetteville on 87 highway. Or you can stay on 87 and visit the other two lock and dams as well.
You have parking. In the warm months you'll have bathrooms. You have the ability to cookout. You have a boat ramp. You have canoe portage from above to below the dam. And you have some bank fishing access. Lock and dam 3 has some decent bank access and would be the closest to Fayetteville.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rhodes Pond was a great place to fish. Only time it has water is when we get a very heavy rain, the flood gates are wide open so that water dosent last long. I have heard that they are going to rebuild the spillway, but as of today there is still no construction. In fayetteville you could check at AK McCallum and talk to guys that work there, they might know of places to access the river. You can also check out Riverside, that is the boat ramp on person st.. Down 401 there is Rim Lake, they have 2 piers. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Any time you are fishing on these rivers you need to be aware of where you are neighborhood wise. Fayetteville is no different.
If I was going to use a ramp in Fayetteville it would be at Riverside because it does have some measure of security. However, Riverside is not in the best of neighborhoods in Fayetteville. I wouldn't be hoofing it around that area too much alone much less unarmed.

The lock and dams are pretty safe. In decent weather on the weekends you won't be alone and the wardens swing through and get out to walk to check licenses.

I've had a game warden stop me at night below Sugar Loaf and ask me if I was armed and I was on a boat. I said sure, why?
Because if you weren't I was going to highly suggest you go home.
And below Sugar Loaf is pretty desolate. One or two people in a boat or camping would be an easy target.

Just know where you are. Use tools like Google Earth. Ride around in the areas you plan to fish.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would also say lock and dam 3. I fished it heavily around 2003-2005 and always caught a lot of nice blues. Cut brim/shad and eels are the way to go there. Also, I got drunk one day there and decided to dig up the clams along the shoreline...open them up and get them on a hook. It worked great. I found that putting them in pantyhose was the ticket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.