NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on remodeling a new to me 17ft all weld aluminum boat for fishing gigging etc. What are you guys using in your boats and how do you maintain them in the salt? Would love to see some pictures of your rigging.

What are you using for decking or flooring over the ribs? I had someone tell me that the chemicals in salt treated plywood caused some corrosion in his boat, anyone using salt treated lumber and has it caused any issues?

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Treated wood will cause aluminum to corrode. Just avoid direct contact. There is much better alternatives than treated anyway weight wise among other things.
If I were going with wood in an aluminum boat, the only way I would do it is with Okoume, epoxy, and glass.

If you go with plywood, don't use 3/4" plywood. It's not a house and it's heavy.
The majority of anything you would want to do could be done with 1/4" or less. I typically frame with 1/4" and deck with 1/2" All glassed.

The lighter you keep it the more you'll like it.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
When I had my jon boat all I did was rinse it, I don't think I ever used soap. As for just treated wood, I used it on my homemade jack plate across the aluminum angles and a 2x6 treated lumber and never hurt anything and I had the boat for 9 years and bought it way used. Now it did have a floor so no ribs which was just a big aluminum sheet with floatation foam between that as well. The one thing I did do that I wish I did way earlier was put tuff coat on from cabelas in light tan or sand, cant remember, made it quitter if I dropped something and waaaayyy cooler!! The boat was a G3 all weld as well.. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive exterior Gas
Here you can see the home made jack plate along with how the floor was when it had carpet :confused:

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had some in it before but was supposedly in fresh water, anyway it had a black tar like substance inbetween the wood and metal, any idea what that was or what I should use?

Treated wood will cause aluminum to corrode. Just avoid direct contact.
The majority of anything you would want to do could be done with 1/4" or less.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see lots of them around here and still floating. Big E had one 8 years, Ive been using one 2 years, many more im sure and I don't see any damage at all to mine but I have no wood in it.

Realistically how long of continued exposer of electrolysis would it take to make the tin boat unusable? 30 years? Less?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Realistically how long of continued exposer of electrolysis would it take to make the tin boat unusable? 30 years? Less?
No way to tell. There is numerous factors.
You can be on freshwater and have a pontoon boat tied to your dock. The docks electrical system is not up to snuff. It aint gonna take long to ruin those toons. Same goes with marinas.

Poor electrical systems in the boat. leaving boats in the water for extended periods...

I've seen some rough ones come out of brackish water. Even owned one that came out of brackish water.

But the problem is worse in saltwater than freshwater because of the difference in conductivity.

You could have one last for 30 years or 2 years, depending on what you subject it to knowingly or unknowingly.
I mean I have one that is older than I am. Nothing wrong with other than the aluminum is so contaminated welding it is almost impossible. but it's spent the majority of those years on dry land and hasn't seen water I know in the last 15 years so it should last forever if I keep that up.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Something else with aluminum is choice of fasteners and fittings. Things like stainless not being too friendly with aluminum. Can't use bronze or brass fittings. etc. If you do , the weak metal succumbs to the stronger metal. Everybody talks about the treated lumber and aluminum boats but there is more to it than just that concerning aluminum. You just have to be aware and know before you do most anything with a piece of aluminum. All can affect the lifespan.

Like bedliner in one. What are you going to do when you hole or crack it? Have you done away with the possibility of having it welded? What you can do with an aluminum boat is far more limited than glass or wood.

I'm not bad mouthing aluminum, just laying what you could be dealing with out there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The black stuff is probably rubberized undercoating. Its in spray cans, deadens some noise and coats the aluminum against the wood. heavily painting the underside of the wood with rustoleum or oil based paint, like exterior house paint can add life and slow down chemical decay between the wood and hull also. Sacrificial anodes can also be bolted on the hull, and never use the hull as a ground for your electrical items always run a separate ground wire. It speeds up electrolosys if the current uses the hull to complete a circuit. Not to mention aluminum is not a very good conductor anyway.

Reactions: Island Man
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.