NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up early on Saturday to fish the carousel flounder tournament down in Carolina Beach with a friend of mine. Got down there and realized the tide was right at one of his spots. So we went there and fished top water instead of the tournament first because, well, who could pass on some topwater action!?! I caught a nice 25 inch drum pretty quickly and had many blowups after. We were about to leave and I reeled in my last cast and when it got near the boat I stopped reeling and left it in the water and started talking to my friend about the next spot. Next thing I know something smashes the lure and starts pulling drag. My friend joked about it being a big trout and sure enough it was! After that we caught bait and fished for flounder. My buddy caught 2 undersized and that was it for us on the flounder .

On Sunday I took my dad out fishing since he had just gotten into town. Tried to put him on some drum but it just didn't work. I let him do most of the fishing but of course couldn't put down the topwater and caught myself a beast of a 28 incher. After about a solid 5 minute fight i pulled anchor and started trolling towards him only to have him keep running away and pulling drag. About another 5 minutes later i got him in the boat. By far my best catch on top water!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 1/2 inch silver mullet badonk a donk. I use this lure constantly but am thinking of switching to something with a bright head on it because I often get birds diving at it. Probably scaring fish that may have been chasing it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
3 1/2 inch silver mullet badonk a donk. I use this lure constantly but am thinking of switching to something with a bright head on it because I often get birds diving at it. Probably scaring fish that may have been chasing it.
I had the same problem Saturday morning using the black gold orange skitterwalk. It's a darker color but they still chased after it. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts