NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
carolina beach, Masonboro kayak fishing report (video added)

Caught three chopper blues all over 30 inches in some shallow water behind masonboro off the ICW

all fish were landed using a 6 inch 20 pound steel leader, and 6 inch berkley powerbait shad

one of the bluefish was attacked by another while landing which ended up with a giant gash near the head which can be seen in the net photo

did not expect such fish in my friends redfish/trout/flounder spot
Water Sky Cloud Plant People in nature
Water Cloud Sky Hand Sports equipment

[video]https://youtu.be/RPvHE_fCauY[/video]

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Wow! THAT'S a gash! I can't imagine it would live with that gash unless it looks deeper in the photo??
You net those chopper blues. A net won't last long with them will it?
Where are these things? Are they in the ICW or the inlet/ocean?
Great report.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It kept fighting with the bite out of it all the way to the boat. It lost a lot of blood once it was out of the water though and I tried my best to get it back in the water fast.

As a spearo I would still eat it even with the gash but my friend who was showing me his spots and was letting me use his kayak told me he didn't feel comfortable keeping it once it was bit for health concerns

Also I didn't have plans on keeping anything from that day so I didn't have a way to store it. I hope it lived but I think his bluefish buddies made a meal of him.

caught in the Icw between snows cut and the back of the island

I misplaced the fish grips on this one so that net had to do, those teeth are no joke and get tangled up

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I'd love to know how a chunk taken from a fish would make someone not want to eat it? Maybe he doesn't like to share his food?
I'd rather eat at Golden Corral than eat a big bluefish. That place is a modern wonder. How do they make the meatloaf, green beans and soft serve ice cream all taste the same???

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.