NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody having issues with c-rigs getting jacked up after a cast using braid for your main line and mono or flouro leaders? To clarify, when I reel the rig in I find that the leader has wrapped around the egg sinker multiple times nearly in a knot. Never had this happen running all mono.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
It can happen in the air during the cast "helicoptering", or it can be from letting the rig sit in current and it will twist up on itself. I've had this happen with braid and mono. Seems like it happens less with shorter leaders to me.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have it happen occasionally. I use mono or floro for the main line and mono for the leader. If you are throwing a heavy rig on a flimsy rod it can worsen the problem in my experience.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I think this happens sometimes while fishing swift current as well. If the bait is not hydrodynamic and spins in the current at some point the swivel may not be able to keep up and you get bad twist.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Its definitely the current doing the twisting, At least when it happens to me it is. Normally easy to unwind tho

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes, always tie a piece of mono leader on for the weight and bead to slide on, then your swivel. You wont get abrasion on your line and less of the twist you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Its definitely the current doing the twisting, At least when it happens to me it is. Normally easy to

unwind tho
If it's tangles on the cast or with the current, it defeats the purpose of a Carolina rig.
The reason it tangles is braid is limb & folds over on it's self & the egg sinker
FC leader is stiff so it does not fold, letting the egg sinker slide.

Super easy fix: braid / FC leader / egg sinker / swivel / FC leader / hook.
Or: braid / swivel / FC leader or mono / egg sinker / 2nd. swivel / FC leader / hook.
Beads are optional on both versions, between egg sinker & knots.

Hope this helps. ....... ICM

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Your leader is too long. Shorten it up to about 6"

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have had similar problems. I found the if you put a slip bobber stop and a bead on the braid before the sinker it will stop almost all of these twists. Also, if you make your casts more of a lob than a snap type motion will also help. I like the idea of the leader on the braid also. I'm going to have to give that one a try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ran into this problem with the swift current of last weeks moon. Hooray 6-8 oz eggs and flat banks...I hate using swivels if I can avoid em. Plus if someone gets excited that swivel can run right into the tip. Ran The weight over the leader like a knocker rig but put a small crimp halfway between the connection and hook with a bead on either side of the weight and stopped the issue. Of course I'm bottom fishing not casting. Your scenario may be different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts