NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
The only way its really possible is to raise the floor and the scuppers have no idea why they insist on putting them at the water line.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The only way its really possible is to raise the floor and the scuppers have no idea why they insist on putting them at the water line.
That's about the only negative thing I have to say about my Intruder. In the earlier models, the scupper holes were barely above the water line of an unloaded boat. I have to keep them plugged and if it is a rainy day end up having to pull the plugs and run the water out. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. The problem has since been resolved with the new models.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Carolina skiff wont correct it in the new models I guess the high sides are a selling point but it makes the scuppers useless. A big complaint with owners. I don't think anyone would complain if the floor was 2 inches higher so it would be self bailing.

That's about the only negative thing I have to say about my Intruder. In the earlier models, the scupper holes were barely above the water line of an unloaded boat. I have to keep them plugged and if it is a rainy day end up having to pull the plugs and run the water out. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. The problem has since been resolved with the new models.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
One reason, is alot of the skiffs are butt heavy. The consoles could be mounted more forward. The 45/55 is somewhat farther forward.

All the folks hanging heavy 4 strokers on them aint helping either.

But there are other options as well. You can install the ball stoppers. Unless water is running out of the scupper, a ball is floated up to seal it off. You need to get the right size though and may actaully need to change the size of your scupper holes to work properly.

Another option, Drop a good sized bilge pump in the rear well if it has one and raise the scuppers an inch. The boat would self bail to an inch deep....which the PPI on a Carolina Skiff is going to be high so it'll carry an inch of water like no tomorrow. PPI is pounds per inch of immersion. A good sized flat bottom Carolina Skiff is probably around 500 pounds pounds.
That would be every 500 pounds the boat sits one inch lower in the water.

If I ever run across another one to restore, I'll raise the sole in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.