NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you DLV owners take your boats offshore (10-15 miles)? I'm looking at the 218 DLV but I would like to still be able to get out and catch dolphin around the "C" bouy and Christmas rock out of Bogue inlet. I know I have to pick my days. I have never been on a DLV so I don't know how they handle in the ocean.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Call Chris Medlin at East Coast Sports (919 358-4912) and ask him what happened to his 218 when it went offshore. And his isn't the only one it happened to. Phil Leonard I believe was running it at the time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speck hunter, I spoke with Chris. He said he has a DLX which is the true flat bottom. He said CS fixed it and hasn't had a problem since.

Jason

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Couldn't remember if it was the DLX or DLV but it isn't the only one in NC that has broken in half
Three boat brands I never intend to own Carolina Skiff, Boston Whaler and Bayliner

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why so much hate for CS? Have you owned or ridden on any?

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
if it is what you want then get it

some boat manufacturers are better than others. But there are entirely too many Carolina Skiffs floating around for me to consider them junk.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Carolina skiff does have it problems especially in the larger ones. If you look at them that have been in service long they
have many many small cracks in the sole and where the sole meets the transom. This is how Carolina Skiffs wind up with water in the hull.

Those big hulls have alot of flex. Eventually flex points fatigue and or fail altogether. I think if the Carolina Skiffs had actual gunnels and atleast a wood sole it would serve to stiffen up the hulls quite a bit.

If I ever run across the right deal on a 21 footer I'd buy it. It would immediately have the sole stiffened with wood or altogether replaced with wood.

What people fail to realize is the torque that comes from an outboard motor is tremendous on a hull. I've seen sole cracks (large cracks) as far up as the center console on both aluminum and fiberglass skiff type boats. The hull is actually trying to twist. When you take all the wood out of hull construction, it takes a heck of a lot of glass to make up for it. Glass is heavy.

And then we haven't even delved into the forces of water on a planing hull.
Put the two together....................

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Many many years ago Bayliner made a good boat.
Boat companies tend to get bought and sold and the product changes but it's probably been 30 or more years since Bayliner was on top of it's game.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Speckhunter, stop being a grumpy old man
I may be a grumpy old man bud that is my opinion and it is an informed opinion. And yes I have ridden in CSs but more importantly was in the plant they made them at for a time in Jacksonville, NC. Saw the crap they produced. They still have insufficient stringers in their larger boats.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
if it is what you want then get it

some boat manufacturers are better than others. But there are entirely too many Carolina Skiffs floating around for me to consider them junk.
The amount floating around is not always a testament as to how good something may be. I think Carolina Skiff's success has been rooted in marketing and the "build your own layout" concept.
I just can't see spending 30,000 plus interest on a 21 foot SKIFF. Even if it does have a T-Top and a fancy depthfinder.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It has nothing to do with hate. I love a good skiff. In fact I've built and sold 2 over the years.
Being a brand fan boy at all costs is one thing. Ignorance.

Sharing what you know to be fact because you have seen it first hand, worked on them, AND have some hull knowledge is something completely different. Being honest, even if it does hurt.
I like the Carolina Skiffs.....but the larger ones have too much flex. That is just a fact. How many boats have you ever heard of just breaking in half? The only ones I have knowledge of ironically are Carolina Skiffs. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw some conclusions.

As previously stated by me. I'd buy a good priced used 21 foot Carolina Skiff.
It would have a wood sole put in it first thing. But mama didn't raise no fool when it comes to 30,000 bucks, interest rates.....and a skiff. You let somebody else take that beating.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Just how many boats have we seen break in half and what year model? What size do you mean by larger skiffs?

Im not saying im an expert but since there are thousands of CS on the water of course there are going to be some problems but most manufacturers will have some issues with those kind of numbers.

I do own one and have beat it up pretty good inshore and off for four years without any issues. I also talk to hundreds of CS users on a regular basis and have never heard of this issue.

Reactions: crabman00

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've personally seen one broken in half.
Seen numerous with the hairline cracking from the bow to the stern in the 21 and up skiffs.
It's the very first thing I look for when looking at used ones and there are plenty of them out there.
The cracking is there from too much flex.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I would love to hear the details of these broken in half, year where etc.

Same with cracks bow to stern? I know of cracks in the inserts (front back decks) but that has no affect on performance only cosmetic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts