NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have great success kayak fishing the Cape Fear from Carolina Beach? Besides the state park, I was looking at a map to try to determine good areas in which to launch a kayak. I might be moving from Hampstead to Carolina Beach so I'm closer for work, so thought I'd see what the inshore yak fishing is like. I'm familiar with the areas I like in Sneads and Hampstead so I know I'll enjoy trying new spots in CB for reds/flounder/trout.

·
Registered
347 Posts
you can launch at the state park and paddle south to the dredge pond, big bay right below the park with one inlet. last I heard it was still accessible. the wildlife ramp at Snows Cut is treacherous and some motor boaters and jet skiers may cause wake issues that could capsize you. If you can manage to launch at the state park and survive getting across Snows Cut there are some decent trout layups on the north side.

Relevant story. Last year I myself launched at the wildlife ramp in my Oldtown. Mindin' my own and trying to stay away from the boat traffic, fishing away, some jerk on a jet ski decides to be a bad a** for some girl he is with by half beaching the jet ski at full throttle and try to kick it back in the water. It was obviously a rental. This is like 10 yards tops from where I am sitting. Long story short, he didn't compensate for that dark layer of mud right below that nice white sand. He and the girl both went flying (literally) into the saw grass and ate some hermit crabs and driftwood for lunch. Where oh where is that Marine Patrol when I need them? for that matter where was natural selection lol?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can launch at the state park and paddle south to the dredge pond, big bay right below the park with one inlet. last I heard it was still accessible. the wildlife ramp at Snows Cut is treacherous and some motor boaters and jet skiers may cause wake issues that could capsize you. If you can manage to launch at the state park and survive getting across Snows Cut there are some decent trout layups on the north side.

Relevant story. Last year I myself launched at the wildlife ramp in my Oldtown. Mindin' my own and trying to stay away from the boat traffic, fishing away, some jerk on a jet ski decides to be a bad a** for some girl he is with by half beaching the jet ski at full throttle and try to kick it back in the water. It was obviously a rental. This is like 10 yards tops from where I am sitting. Long story short, he didn't compensate for that dark layer of mud right below that nice white sand. He and the girl both went flying (literally) into the saw grass and ate some hermit crabs and driftwood for lunch. Where oh where is that Marine Patrol when I need them? for that matter where was natural selection lol?
ICM, the bay is a quality spot for sure.

Stripes, as for the getting run over aspect I understand what you're saying. I've had a few close calls with drunks while paddling my yak, and while running our 18-foot skiff. I try my best to steer clear of the weekend jet skiers and the boaters who go full throttle right through your fishing area. But, in summer, it is tough to get away from them, especially in a yak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.