NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about what baits work for carp? I have heard using corn mill and what not attracts them and i've also heard that just regular corn will work. I remember reading an article in the newspaper about it and people will usually chum for them. I was fishing in a pond on friday and was checking out the bedding bass when out of no where a big ol carp came school by. I think on light tackle it would be an absolute blast to catch one. Any info would be awesome and I'll be sure to take a picture if i catch one! :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I used to fish for Carp as a kid growing up in Mebane. I'd get up early Saturday morning with four spinning outfits strapped to my bike and ride across town to Forest Lake. My older brother taught me how to catch them. We'd use a sliding weight with a swivel under it and then two leaders with hooks off the swivel. We'd place a Sugar Pop (cereal) over the barb of the hook. Then we would wrap a bran meal that we mixed with beer (for scent) around the sugar pops. The idea was that the Sugar Pops gave the bran meal dough ball something to click to on over the hook and when the Carp swallowed the bran ball the Sugar Pop would float the hook to the top of his mouth. Sounded good at 12 anyway. The bran meal had to be moist enough to mould into dough balls but not too moist so that they would fall apart. We made up a large dough ball with the meal and beer the night before and left it in a plastic bag over night. I'd just break off enough to wrap around a Sugar Pop and seal up the bag. I had great success with that. One Saturday morning I caught several that weighed over 20 pounds each. They were great to fight and with light spinning tackle it was great fun.

I'm sure catching Carp has become much more sophisticated now but that is how I remember doing it. BTW we would get the bran meal at a feed store in town. Not sure where you'd find it now.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, thanks for the help guys, ncangler - you sure you didnt take a swallow of that beer, being a curious little 12 year old? haha just kiddin ;) Don't know if my parents would trust me that much!!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Crappie,

My buddies and I go carp fishing all the time. There are some Massive ones around here. This is what works. Chum up the water with Sweet corn, some time we will mix it in with some strawberry jam. Then tie a big doe ball onto the end of your hook and hold on, make sure you have your rods in your hands or in a rod holder. Many a time we have almost lost our rods to a run away carp. The most exiting way to catch them though is top water. If it is a calm day, and there is not a lot of ducks, throw big pieces of bread that will float. You have to keep quiet though. Carp are extremely finicky. If there are carp in the area they will begin to circle the bread and feed top water. The tricky part is getting the floating bread to stay on your hook. Im in the process of developing a fly to get one top water. Once you catch your first big one you realize why we call them the "fresh water bonefish".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.