NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get in an afternoon of carp fishing at Lake Crabtree before the colder weather arrives. Thought I was going to get skunked but late in the day had two runs that produced two nice fish. First was a 10 pounder and the second weighed in at 16 pounds. Was fishing with hair-rigged corn and grits packbait.
Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology Ray-finned fish
Fin Fish Marine biology Tail Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice. I fished Crabtree several times this summer with corn. All I could catch was channel cats avg 2-3 lbs. Wasn't using any packbait, just chumming with canned corn. I was targeting carp. Fishing off the floating fishing pier.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The packbait REALLY seems to make all the difference. When carp fishing back home, a) there are just tons of carp around, and b) you can just throw out corn and then swarm. I have hardly caught anything without packbait down here, and just chumming with corn doesn't seem to do it (at least at Crabtree and Beaverdam). When I haven't used it, and then kevinlj39 shows us (who has been kind enough to share), we suddenly start catching fish. Now I make sure to bring my own ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The packbait REALLY seems to make all the difference. When carp fishing back home, a) there are just tons of carp around, and b) you can just throw out corn and then swarm. I have hardly caught anything without packbait down here, and just chumming with corn doesn't seem to do it (at least at Crabtree and Beaverdam). When I haven't used it, and then kevinlj39 shows us (who has been kind enough to share), we suddenly start catching fish. Now I make sure to bring my own ;)
The NC carp do like packbait.
Grits or oats seem to work great at Crabtree for us.
pleased to see you got out and caught.. hope you get a 20 next trip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice job, my experience at both Beaverdam and Lake Crabtree mirrors bankslinger...lots of cats, no carp - yet! Pack bait it is....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I tried corn only once at Crabtree and never could get a carp. I'm considering taking my little boat out to Crabtree lake and just throw the grits and creamed corn pack bait out all around me and then put a few hair rigs with corn straight down and hope that works. I guess with the cold front that may have to wait until spring.

·
Registered
146 Posts
FWIW I have always caught my carp there only out about 20-30 feet from shore. Not saying that strategy won't work though, as I have no idea. I wonder where they go in Crabtree when it gets colder?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.