NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
big carp in lake pine but you will have a hard time getting one on the normal carp baits as there are so many small cats in there they will get to it first....used to be two Koi in there pushing 10 lbs each.......yellow perch in there as well cause I know who put them in there(before it was illegal), lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Back in my high school days I got a grass carp there that was a little over 3 feet long. I remember because it was the biggest fish I'd ever caught at the time. Haven't fished there in years, but there were big ones once upon a time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll second NC35hunter. In the late 90s early 2ks I know of dozens of large carp that were there. My dad had pic after pic of big ones he'd pull in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I need to get an Apex license now that I am an old codger. I am not far away but it was hard to justify the price for the license if you are under 55 and don't live in Apex.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm eager to fish Lake Pine. I haven't been there in a year. I recently got a kayak, I think that will open up a lot of opportunities in the lake.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
They don't discount the boating permits; they are $40 for any aged non resident. I figure I can justify the $6 for a yearly license though.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Does anyone remember the guy that use to sit in the truck on the power lines and give tickets and run people out of there? This was late 80s/early 90s. Not that I ever fished there and caught lots of bass and ran from him as a teenager, just that I heard of people doing that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't discount the boating permits; they are $40 for any aged non resident. I figure I can justify the $6 for a yearly license though.
Permit just to put a Kayak/canoe in? Talk about wanting to make $$ any way they possibly can!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We had a boat permit the first year it was open for boats. In the last couple of years I don't think I've seen a boat on Lake Pine and I walk my dog there all the time. Probably because it's a pretty good haul from the parking lot.

I sure wish they could have grown some vegetation on the lake bottom while it was drained...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Apex permit but haven't fished Lake Pine yet. Has anyone fished there since they finished with the project?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
We had a boat permit the first year it was open for boats. In the last couple of years I don't think I've seen a boat on Lake Pine and I walk my dog there all the time. Probably because it's a pretty good haul from the parking lot.

I sure wish they could have grown some vegetation on the lake bottom while it was drained...

They, (parks and recreation manager) really missed the boat on the drawdown.

There was a vehicle actually on the bottom sunk years ago for fishing and a lot of bass have been caught off of it.
They removed it.

there were also a few big stumps in the lake and they were removed also.

I also emailed the manager several; times (no response) and offered to plant 15 to 20 cypress trees in the upper end(at my expense) where when the lake was full they would of been in 2 - 4 ft of water and I was gonna put fence around them to keep beavers from knawing them and nevery heard a peep from the guy.

Big fail imo on the town of Apex. they could of put rock piles and other structure in there and just wanted a clean bowl of a lake bottom. I guess they are gonna open it up for water skiing and didn't want any hazards out there.:rolleyes:

Reactions: lthrnck03

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It seems like they look at it like a big reflecting pool in the middle of the park that the trail goes around and they allow but don't really promote boating and fishing. They should talk to the Bond Park folks in Cary or the Lochmere HOA to find out how to make a lake that size in this area something special. But it just doesn't see to be on their radar.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The manager there seems to make a lot of decisions I don't understand. Last year they cut down a bunch of trees for no reason at all as far as I can tell. They had one of the nature trails shut down for months and months. Instead of fixing the trail they just kept putting up fencing to try to keep people out. The fence wouldn't stay up a day before getting stomped down:D And they re-did the playground between the ball fields and turned a very nice space into a muddy mess, took out a slide and other features. Still, it's nice to have green space and water 5 minutes from my house.

I used to fish Lake Lochmere a lot... need to sneak in there again. Don't give the tailrace a second look, nothing to see there :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts