NC Angler Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm getting the feeling that fishing lake pine is close to futile now...... draining the lake, removing structure and cover.....

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I used to fish Lake Lochmere a lot... need to sneak in there again. Don't give the tailrace a second look, nothing to see there :cool:
It isn't far from me and I had a resident buddy over there for a while. It is (or was, I think still is) a really good bass lake.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that fishing lake pine is close to futile now...... draining the lake, removing structure and cover.....
several posters on the internet have used the word drained.......it was not 100 percent drained....imo it had 1/2 the water in it than when full..........fish were unharmed

Reactions: lthrnck03

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've spent a few minutes fishing there twice recently and talked to someone else who had spent more time there. It's not what it used to be, for whatever reason. The lake was drained down to about 1/3- 1/4 it's usual surface area for months. I'd guess that any fish that could fit in a largemouth bass' mouth got consumed during that time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've spent a few minutes fishing there twice recently and talked to someone else who had spent more time there. It's not what it used to be, for whatever reason. The lake was drained down to about 1/3- 1/4 it's usual surface area for months. I'd guess that any fish that could fit in a largemouth bass' mouth got consumed during that time.
Good for the LMB.... Bad for the other fish. I've definitely caught some nice bass out of there in the past. I'd like to see first hand what it's carp offerings are like.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I emailed and asked about it shortly after Christmas while it was still low and was told they would get help/advice from WRC when it was refilled:

Andy:

We’re hopeful the contractor will be out of the lake in the next week or so and then it will be allowed to fill naturally. Once it gets back up to where it was we’ll have the Wildlife Commission come out and work with them to see if we need a restocking plan. We honestly don’t think we lost too many fish during the process but they will work with us to do some sampling and come up with a plan…..

Regards,

John M. Brown
Director
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
PO Box 250
Apex, NC 27502
919-249-3344
919-625-0489
919-249-3368 (fax)
[email protected]
www.apexnc.org

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
oh, the gizzard shad made it through the drawdown as the wife and I were down at the pier(right behind my house kinda) last week and a guy catfishin was catchin shad in his net. I have seen schools of shd in the past so the drawdown didn't exterminate them. If the shad are still in there the other fish should be fine as well.....the problem is no structure but if someone were to take a chainsaw and topple over a big tree it would be like a magnet to fish ;).......

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I went down to the boat access and cast a roadrunner for 45 minutes until it was dark. I only got one hit right at the bank from a bream. The lake is full of little shad bait balls on the surface. This is the third time I've been, the shad are everywhere and not once has anything busted them.

Right at dusk three flocks of geese came in. Fall is right around the corner :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The manager there seems to make a lot of decisions I don't understand. Last year they cut down a bunch of trees for no reason at all as far as I can tell. They had one of the nature trails shut down for months and months. Instead of fixing the trail they just kept putting up fencing to try to keep people out. The fence wouldn't stay up a day before getting stomped down:D And they re-did the playground between the ball fields and turned a very nice space into a muddy mess, took out a slide and other features. Still, it's nice to have green space and water 5 minutes from my house.

I used to fish Lake Lochmere a lot... need to sneak in there again. Don't give the tailrace a second look, nothing to see there :cool:
The Lochmere HOA is def coming down on non-residents. With Cary Police trespassers will be cited - do you want a criminal record?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The Lochmere HOA is def coming down on non-residents. With Cary Police trespassers will be cited - do you want a criminal record?
you must live there...............

21 - 30 of 30 Posts