NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just reposting a thread that I had started in freshwater fishing thinking I might get a better response in this forum, thanks for any input!

I had heard from a couple places that carp will sometimes kill off other freshwater fish populations because they eat all the nutrients from the pond. Does anyone know for sure if this can or will happen? I'm asking because my family has some farm ponds in Louisburg that my buddies and i fish pretty often and one of the better ponds has eight carp that were pretty recently put in and i was worried about the effect they will have especially on the bass and catfish populations.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Inmy family pond a few acres, we have 3 or 4 really big gras carp about the size of the little pond hopper. and we have so many chnnel cats in that pond you could eat 2 a day for years haha..and one very fat blue cat that weighed 38 lbs when it was put in...and it looks bigger you can get them up to se em with dog food haha.

So I dont think it would hurt them. the carp eat algea(SP) ..sometimes you can get them to bite worms and whatnot. But ive never noticed a pond that suffered from having carp in them..

so all in all gras carp good keeps the mess down in the water....but regular carp im not so sure of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.