NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to pinehurst from New York City and I don't golf haha. Am excited to explore new bodies of water for carp and even catfish. im going to check out the pee dee, cape fear, haw, and Catawba Rivers. Anyone know of any good sections of flats? Will most take either my canoe or SUP board out to cover as much water as possible at first. Thanks! Glad to be living in NC, it's beautiful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just moved to NC as well, Henderson area. I know the Pee Dee has some nice fish, carp, catfish, and buffalo. Are you looking for places to sight fish? It looks to be hard to do in this State. If you are interested in non-sight fishing opportunities let me know. I don't have a lot on that area but I might be able to help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your best fly fishing in that part of the state will be ponds on farms, golf courses and residential areas. Otherwise you will want to drive to mountain or coast. Haw River where it flows into Jordan Lake is good in the spring but I haven't been there in years and there are guys in here who own it there

·
Registered
307 Posts
Carp are going to be tricky in all but a very few places in NC. I've searched all over, rivers, lakes, ponds, you name it. The one problem I have is water clarity. It seems like every time I can find a system that actually has carp, the water clarity is so poor that there's no way to spot them to cast to them until you're directly on top of them (I fish from a kayak a lot) and by then they're spooked.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Carp are going to be tricky in all but a very few places in NC. I've searched all over, rivers, lakes, ponds, you name it. The one problem I have is water clarity. It seems like every time I can find a system that actually has carp, the water clarity is so poor that there's no way to spot them to cast to them until you're directly on top of them (I fish from a kayak a lot) and by then they're spooked.
100% truth about carp fishing in NC! Especially in the triangle. The overwhelming majority of water that I have found carp in has been water that resembles chocolate milk. Finding them is not that tough, being able to sight fish to them is a completely different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in just south of you in Rockingham, and paddle the Pee Dee pretty regularly. There are some BIG catfish to be caught in that river. I wrangled up a 65 pounder last summer in my kayak. That was fun! To fish the Pee Dee, you'll want to have at least two vehicles so you can stage one at the take out unless you're just going to fish a small section. Where I see the biggest catfish are south of the Highway 74 bridge, past the old Indian fishing wiers, which create several small step Rapids. Getting to those fish generally means you need to use the stage vehicle and take out about 6 miles down stream at Diggs since getting back up those fishing wiers would mean getting out of the boat and wading a lot. I'm always looking for an excuse to go paddling and fishing, so let me know if you want to do it some time.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.