NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
The carp were gathering in Jordan today at NE Creek. Groups of 5-20 bunching up and gulping at the surface. They didn't seem interested in anything I could offer. Cool to watch but very spooky to any lure I tossed. Not sure if it's sporting to just throw something in their open mouths.

Caught 2 white bass, one was good size, about 16" and a little over a pound. No LMB could be found.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carp were gathering in Jordan today at NE Creek. Groups of 5-20 bunching up and gulping at the surface. They didn't seem interested in anything I could offer. Cool to watch but very spooky to any lure I tossed. Not sure if it's sporting to just throw something in their open mouths.

Caught 2 white bass, one was good size, about 16" and a little over a pound. No LMB could be found.
I'm not sure where NE creek is. I've never really fished jordan before.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hit NE creek like you suggested. Nothin doin whatsoever. Wind was pretty steady from the north side of the creek, which just ended up pushing me around in the yak. I really should have done some better planning because about 1 hr after I called it quits, the sun came out and warmed things up nicely. Also, it was really muddy water which made spotting carp nearly impossible. I did however get some good recon done and found some very promising mud flats for later on when temps really warm the water up and get fish moving.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh well. The carp were easy to see on the surface in the dead calm (there were bunches under the yak according to my FF too). I didn't see them later with the wind making small waves in the area. They also may have left by then.

Keep at it. I'm going to carry my fly rod in case I run into them again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were there a lot of seeds floating around in the air. Feeding on the surface like that I would have thrown a larger dry fly. Speaking of.... I need to tie up some "seed" flies for top water carp.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I didn't see anything to eat. The just circled the bunch around while sticking their mouths out of the water a bit. If you spooked them, they scatter a little ways and reform the group. I am guessing that this is some sort of prespawn jousting by the males. Are males usually smaller? These were about 20", I think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't see anything to eat. The just circled the bunch around while sticking their mouths out of the water a bit. If you spooked them, they scatter a little ways and reform the group. I am guessing that this is some sort of prespawn jousting by the males. Are males usually smaller? These were about 20", I think.
I'm not sure if males are smaller or not. Honestly, I have yet to land a carp. I hooked into 3 or 4 last summer and that was all it took to make me a carp-a-holic. My two boys are getting a little older now, so I get a little more fishing time in. I've had very little time to actually recon areas for carp. I generally use forums and what not to find prospective carpin spots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.