NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its entirely possible that its just me.....but why is it so difficult to find good, consistent carpin spots? Now I know that I handicap myself by not traveling out further....but the truth is, I don't get a ton of time to head out fishing. Family and work take precedence. For me....it just seems like its not easy to find good carpin spots to sigh fish for them. Stalking them with a fly rod is how I roll. It seems like the creeks are generally not wide enough to hold fish.... and the small community ponds have not been fruitful. Woe is me....woe is me. So endeth my pity party.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Because the people who you see online doing it (like John Montana) are in prime carp territory. Clear rivers, abundance of fish. We in the piedmont don't have that luxury. The carp may very well be there in your river, pond, or lake, but 90% of the time the water is so stained you can't see them to cast to them. It's a different ball game here than a lot of the stuff I've seen/read about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Mountain rivers have carp and aren't so muddy much of the time. I've got my eye on some monstrous grass carps if I can get lucky with the fly rod.....should be interesting.
Are you talking about red horse sucker fish or carp? I've never seen a common or grass carp in a mountain river. I've seen thousands of red horses. They get big too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's your go to fly/flies for carp? I've got my eye on some that I need to devot some time to trying to catch.
See, therein lies the problem. I don't have a go to fly. I haven't even landed one yet. I've hooked into 3-4 and that was all it took to get me hooked on it. I will say this however, they were all taken on nymph patterns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.