NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the area and am looking for some nice ponds to fish. I am kind of stressing ponds...well because I don't have a boat. I really enjoy throwing a small plano box in my back pocket along with some platics and walking around ponds trying to see what I can pull out. I am currently living in Apex and see ponds all over the place, but am never quite sure as to whether or not they are on public property or private. So I always have a bit of hesitation. Anyway, if anyone knows of some nice ponds that they would be willing to share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome to the area.

Bond Lake Park in Cary and Apex Community park both host Community Fishing lakes. I thought I'd seen a sign at Apex that said something about a town fishing permit, but I know no such permit is required at Bond Lake. I've spoken with the staff there, you're welcome to fish from wherever on the bank you can reach. Boats are available for rent during the warm weather months.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Most of these are small lakes rather than ponds:
Apex Community Park (at last check, requires Town Fishing Permit)
Horton's Pond, NC 751 in Chatham County
Bond Park in Cary
Regency Park in Cary?
Ponds at Umstead State Park in Raleigh

I'll be glad to provide additional information on these if needed. Also check the NC Wildlife Resources Commission website for bank fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
So let me get this right. Apex requires a town permit on top of a state fishing license?
I got the impression it was that park, rather than the entire town... But I don't recall for sure. The part that really jumped out at me was when I saw it listed as a participant in the Community Fishing program. Additional fees and permits seemed contrary to the whole idea behind the CFP....

I do recall emailing someone a question about it, but I don't think I ever got a response... Might have to dig through the old emails...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Concurring with Lefty, my impression it was just for that one park. It's probably been 6 years since I visited, so things may have changed. But at that time I believe they had signs posted saying the permit was required. I would be surprised if there was much in the way of enforcement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just want to say thanks to everyone for the replies. I now have some areas to check out. I have looked into the town fishing permit a bit, apparently its free, and not really enforced. I think I'll go out and get one soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.