NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an early 70's 17' Casper (well boat) to restore. Because it did not have a motor there was not a sea trial. A 50 hp Tohatsu with a 20 inch shaft was installed. The transom is 16 1/2 inches top to bottom. When running water swirls around the well and into the boat. As speed is increased, the quantity of water increases. On a plane, the water is rolling in. Suggestions to eliminate water from rolling into the boat are appreciated.

Any suggestions on how to make it plane better are also appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
alot of well boats do this from what i understand but caspers to a lesser extent from the ones i have run. the ones i have been on have had scuppers on the back to let the water run off the net platform. some people fiberglass a shield that helps the water not come in the boat. also i think most of these boats are set up for a short shaft motors as well.

just curious where did you purchase the boat. ive been looking for a decent casper to but and have come across two, both could use some work and one being a little to pricey for what i wanted to spend at the moment and the other was almost certainly stolen ( no title in hand and very fishy back story)

·
Registered
1 Posts
alot of well boats do this from what i understand but caspers to a lesser extent from the ones i have run. the ones i have been on have had scuppers on the back to let the water run off the net platform. some people fiberglass a shield that helps the water not come in the boat. also i think most of these boats are set up for a short shaft motors as well.

just curious where did you purchase the boat. ive been looking for a decent casper to but and have come across two, both could use some work and one being a little to pricey for what i wanted to spend at the moment and the other was almost certainly stolen ( no title in hand and very fishy back story)
Thanks for the response. It was listed on fb, Marketplace. It was located in Leland, NC. A commercial fisherman was selling. Hull only. I paid $700.00. The boat had been through a hard life. It’s now flipped in my drive waiting for top coat paint. It appears the original bottom paint, and years of additional bottom paint, were in place. This is my first experience restoring a boat and without the help of family would have done me in. I’m photographing the process to remind myself how hard boat work can be.
Take care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motor currently is off the boat as it is flipped. The transom length from top to keel is 16 1/2 inches. The motor has a 20 inch shaft, sI am guessing there is approximately 4 inches. I have purchased an extension to lift the motor.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I usually go by the plate position relative to the boat bottom. In general, you want to start with cavitation plate just below the boat bottom. Test drive from that point, bringing it up a little at a time until the prop ventilates when making a sharp turn in either direction, then drop it back down 3/4" inch to make sure it does not ventilate when you boat loading changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually go by the plate position relative to the boat bottom. In general, you want to start with cavitation plate just below the boat bottom. Test drive from that point, bringing it up a little at a time until the prop ventilates when making a sharp turn in either direction, then drop it back down 3/4" inch to make sure it does not ventilate when you boat loading changes.
Thank you. I will certainly try this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts