NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! How nice would it be to be able to catch some of these in a sporting size. Hopefully their presence doesn't somehow impact the current fishery(s) in a negative manner.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
You will be surprised how many species use our waters as a nursery, only to move on to more familiar ones as they grow. That's another reason why we need to get these netting regulations worked out better..

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Snook and other fish have been showing up the past few years. I've seen Manatee this far north swimming the ocean heading south. Lots of Jack Crevallie <sp> have been showing up bigger and bigger each year. Caught them along the New River and around Topsail.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It seems the last few years you hear more and more about it every year. My own personal and unscientific take on it is that there's always been a few just like triple tail, but now with the expansion of technology and social media word gets around a lot faster.
I've seen the triple tail down in FL. But for the first time, and this summer, I saw a triple tail hanging out in a big ole grass patch offshore. Tried to mess with him but my boat ended up plowing into the grass and off he went.

Snook and other fish have been showing up the past few years. I've seen Manatee this far north swimming the ocean heading south. Lots of Jack Crevallie <sp> have been showing up bigger and bigger each year. Caught them along the New River and around Topsail.
When I first started my house in Oct of 2012, the first time down to the marina where I live, we saw a big fat manatee headed out to the ICW. Pretty cool to see. I called the fisheries and told them and was immediately told THANK YOU and hung up on. So I took that as, this aint normal!! Which it was a first time for me and I've been fishing this area for 10 years.

Also caught 5 Jacks about 8-10" in the same marina this summer while cast netting pogeys. Maybe we are getting some kinda transition and fish are moving up the coast.

And down I guess. Last year I caught a fish on the bottom that is only supposed to in 600+' of water and in Nova Scotia. Some sort of Hake or something.

And now snook....maybe next thing we know, we will have 20# grouper hanging around the docks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The grouper would be AWESOME.

Was the hake like the one pictured at the top of this pic? This catch was within 15 miles of Beaufort Inlet View attachment 66457
Same family if it's not.

I sent the photo to NOAA scientist (which is where fisheries sent me for some reason). They first though it was a "southern hake?" but turns out it had 4 feelers, if you will, instead of 2 under it's chin/under belly area. And that was the determining factor.

They ended up getting all of the info from me on the fish, like water dept, temp, time of year and all I could give them. It was pretty cool to experience.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
It was an awesome day. Funny thing is it was first day sea bass were open to keep and that was our target species. Had been killing them during the closure. Go to the spot on opening day and couldn't catch a sea bass for the flounder. Nobody was upset though. Was a few bucktails involved, but no Gulp was harmed in the catching of those fish ;). Here's the whole pic Feather Animal product Natural material Plant Wood

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Tripletail been off shore here for decades. Caught no few off floating junk in the blue water in the mid 80s.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.