NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal?:confused:

Today at lake crabtre, I watched a heron bust 6 inch bream, crappie, bass and other unidentified fry.

I started noticing the small fish popping around the drop-offs along the shoreline. I'm not sure what the regs are about a cast net in freshwater, but curiousity got the best of me. I pulled my small net out of the truck and tossed it. 1st throw, I could barely get the net in. 13 bream (bluegill and pumpkin seeds) from 3 inches to hand sized, 7 crappie about 6 inches each, a 1 pound catfish, 2 LM bass about 4-6 inches and some kind of shad.

I threw the net 4 or 5 more times and never pulled in less than 7 fish, ranging from small fry to keeper-sized bream and cats.

Part 2 - Shad ID

I call 'em shad, but I'm a saltwater boy, not sure what these are. One had a knife-eged belly like a pogy and a rounded nose. The other was a typical shad, but was a dull gold color, maybe even tarnished brass. Any idea?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PCBs

Yeah, there's warning signs everywhere about PCBs. According to the warnings, the levels are so high, that it's not same to keep any fish. Still fun to catch 'em though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.