NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size and who makes the best one under $100 for catching your own bait?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I picked up a Betts old salt 8 footer on Amazon for 60.00, the next day they were 90.00. Not sure why the price jump...figured I was just lucky!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I prefer to fish with live bait and very rarely am I throwing anywhere other than a marsh creek for finger mullet, mud minnows, pogies and shrimp. I have found a 4' radius with 3/8 netting works best for me. I also have 3, 5, 6, and 7' nets that I occasionally use. For instance, I use a 3' net while sitting or standing in the yak for f/mullet, late in the season, when they become scarce and the 6' net for cobs to put in the smoker. I use the 7' net exclusively for table grade size shrimp in Aug. and Sept. Each has their own purpose but if I had to choose just one, it would be the 4'. Learning where not to throw will give your net yrs. of use. Buying quart of gulp that might last several trips verses a buying a cast net that provides me with yrs. of bait, not a hard decision for me. I have a 4' and 7' that I bought from this site that have served me well.
http://www.justforfishing.com/Joy-F...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

·
Registered
940 Posts
, I use a 3' net while sitting or standing in the yak for f/mullet, late in the season,
You are going to have to teach me how to cast a net while sitting in a yak.. Already trying to tweek my fly casting! :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
You are going to have to teach me how to cast a net while sitting in a yak.. Already trying to tweek my fly casting! :D
I don't get a lot of distance out of the net or the fly sitting in the yak. I throw foam bugs all winter for gills sitting in a canoe but not in 12 to 15 mph wind like here on the coast. Come on down and we'll hone our skills.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Net choice depends on where & what you're trying to net.
A small lightweight net designed for finger Mullets close to the bank, in shallow water.
Will never work on Pogeys the size of flip flops in 10' plus of water.
It won't sink or close fast enough to catch bait.

Best all round net should be something you can handle, from a boat, a dock or standing in the surf.
Remember you're going to be making more than a few throws.
7 or 8 footer with medium mesh size, a fast sink rate should cover most of your needs.

Some good reading material from Calusa ( a little pricey ).
Hope this helps. ........ ICM

http://calusa.com/categories/cast_nets_calusa.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts