NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year or so I've started seeing more and more people using cast nets to catch fish. I've seen guys catch a load of Blues on Jolly Roger Pier. I also saw a guy catch fish at Jordan Lake, but he was too far away to tell what kind he had. I thought cast net were only legal for catching bait. Is it legal to catch fish with a net?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am pretty certain inland game fish have to be caught on hook and line, but I am less certain about fish that are not specified as game fish and I think you can net salt water fish as a legal means of taking but still have the same size/creel limits and license requirements. But check the regs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a bit surprised too when I saw that they were netting Blues. They pulled in enough Blues to fill a Coleman 48 qt cooler. About 1/3 of what they pulled in would not fit in the cooler, so they threw those back and headed for the gate. It does seem like Blues would shred a net.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It ain't the cast net throwers...that have decimated fish stocks...
It's global consumption of the sea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.