NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year or so I've started seeing more and more people using cast nets to catch fish. I've seen guys catch a load of Blues on Jolly Roger Pier. I also saw a guy catch fish at Jordan Lake, but he was too far away to tell what kind he had. I thought cast net were only legal for catching bait. Is it legal to catch fish with a net?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think it is legal only for catching bait, but you will catch anything that happens to be there when you throw the net. Any non bait fish are supposed to be released immediately, at least that is my understanding. I may be wrong, and I have never used a throw net, so you would do well to consult the regulation books.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am pretty certain inland game fish have to be caught on hook and line, but I am less certain about fish that are not specified as game fish and I think you can net salt water fish as a legal means of taking but still have the same size/creel limits and license requirements. But check the regs!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I see it quite often. Walk along throwing the net and put everything in the bucket regardless of size or species.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a bit surprised too when I saw that they were netting Blues. They pulled in enough Blues to fill a Coleman 48 qt cooler. About 1/3 of what they pulled in would not fit in the cooler, so they threw those back and headed for the gate. It does seem like Blues would shred a net.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It ain't the cast net throwers...that have decimated fish stocks...
It's global consumption of the sea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts