NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of using a 6ft net and on the help and advice of a freind, I decided to step up to a faster sinking 10ft net with more lead on the lead line. It appears that I'm going to have to begin working out because, this is quite alot of net. I tried practicing in the backyard tonight and the is awesome. It did work up a pretty good sweat on the Ol' Fat Man.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tom I'd like you to show me that netting ability sometime as I have an interest there.

Rob Latta said he will not be able to make it to Carolina Beach with us.

Jim

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The larger nets are a work out for sure and you dont want to be throwin them a dozen times or more... My 7 ft net (14 ft diameter) after a couple dozen shots starts wearin me down..

Good that your practicing though, hard to find a good net thrower.. I know when I mention it on the boat, "hey, need someone to throw the net for bait", everyone gets busy riggin somethin or has a reason for anything but takin over the cast net! ha ha ha ha....

Note - Randy's Estore sell's some nice cast nets too for folks lookin to get one! ;)

https://www.ncangler.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=18

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
An important consideration in buying a net is how much weight is used. The more weight the quicker it sinks. So if you are casting in deeper water or for very skittish fish - the weight can make a big difference. But it's not the total weight that matters, its the weight per foot.

Net weights are measured in pounds per foot of diameter (unless otherwise noted in the specs). Net sizes are stated in radius feet (half the diameter). So a 7' net with 1.5 pounds of lead per foot will have a diameter of 14' and thus will have 21 pounds of lead.

With a proper casting method (there are several that work well), a 12 foot net is no harder to throw than a 6 foot one except for the amount of weight you have to throw. So if you can open a 6 footer, you probably can open an 8, 10 or 12. Its just that you will tire out quicker with the bigger one.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With a proper casting method (there are several that work well), a 12 foot net is no harder to throw than a 6 foot one except for the amount of weight you have to throw. So if you can open a 6 footer, you probably can open an 8, 10 or 12. Its just that you will tire out quicker with the bigger one
I believe it's the physics of going from 18 pounds to 36 pounds of lead that make it more difficult. Of course if your in better shape than I am , it's no problem.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I throw a 6' net. Never paid any attention to the weight. Good consideration.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sink Rate is a huge consideration for a cast net and it's determined by two things , Mesh Size and as TA stated amount of lead weight. The general school of thought is that for a good sink rate that a net should be at least 1.5 pounds per ft.

The smaller the mesh size the slower the sink rate so, here are a few points about mesh size that I have learned;

1/4" Mesh generally used for bait 3" and smaller and in water depths of less than 8ft.
3/8" Mesh is considered an all purpose mesh size. For bait larger than 3" and in water up to 12ft in depth.
1/2" Mesh used for baits 5" and larger and in deep water and/or where there is current. Water depths can be up to 20 ft.
5/8" mesh can be used in 50 -60 ft of water.
I will probably never cast to bait in 50 Ft of water but, I have a 5/8" mesh net for the max sink rate.

Also, Monofilament nets will sink faster than nylon.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would think your net would be closed up before you got close to 50'. They make net's in larger mesh sizes also. I used to throw a 10' mullet net. The mesh size on it was 1". Yeah it was heavy....especially when you were pulling it in. Sometimes it makes you wonder how those nets support all of that weight. That is a young man's game. Actually you need two strong young backs. Two good tosses with a 10' mullet net will yield you enough to freeze for cut bait until they return in the spring. And that is if you are fishin' hot and heavy every weekend.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
What I would suggest: for catching bait for the shorebound angler would be a 5' 3/8" mesh net. For use from a boat for sound fishing a 6'- 7' 3/8" mesh net. For medium size menhaden and most king/sail baits in less than 20' of water an 8'-10' 5/8" net. For the tournament king fisherman and serious bluewater folks a 10' or larger 3/4" net. The larger the net, the deeper it will sink before closing up. Sink rate is determined by several factors. A couple of the ones not already mentioned are: diameter and density of the netting material and braille material, horn opening and amount of overlapping netting. Even the leadline material has some effect on the sink rate. There are clamp on net weights available for adding weight to a finished net but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I believe it's the physics of going from 18 pounds to 36 pounds of lead that make it more difficult. Of course if your in better shape than I am , it's no problem.
That is my point. But often folks think its the size that makes the difference - that wider is harder. A 10 foot net with 1 pound of weights per foot (20 pounds) is easier to throw than an 8 footer with 1.5 pounds per foot (24 pounds).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool videos...... I've been using a 6' 3/8 net for a long time... and the funny thing is I learned how to throw it from a friend that is left handed and I'm a righty... and it involves holding a lead with your teeth........ well another friend decided he wanted to give it a try..... and he's a righty too... he can't get the hang of it throwing with the wrong hand and I can't switch hands after all this time to show him how to throw right handed....... anyway we were both tired out and wet from throwing the net.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.