NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned quite a few nets over the years. I loose most of them to oyster beds or other stuff on the creek bottoms. I saw the Black Pearl net on here so I clicked on the link to check it out. The most I've ever paid for a net was around 50$ for a six footer. In checking out the Black Pearl I found that it was a bit more than I've paid in the past. Has anyone used one of these? What is the difference between these and other nets? Are they worth the money?

Thanks
Ryan.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
They are extremely well made and definitely nets that you'd want to take good care of. I'll let some of the other guys speak to the quality of them and whether they are worth the investment though. :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
They are on my short list for my next ocean use net. Unfortunately I can't see me using one much in the sound. I like throwing a net almost as much as fishing so a few extra throws doesn't bother me. I kind of like not having to worry about whether there are a couple of clumps of oysters in the vicinity. Pogy nets, mullet nets etc. are an entirely different story. There you need to make every throw count. You never know how long you'll have to wait on your next shot and there are often people wanting to get to the fishing grounds instead of hunting for bait. You get what you are paying for. I spent the better part of 2 days comparing high end nets. If you do the same I feel Black Pearl will be on your short list also.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I use a cheap net for casting around oyster rocks - usually there I'm looking for finger mullet and such - the inexpensive nets do fine for that and you don't mind a snag or two. However - when casting for fast moving or deeper fish - you will appreciate the higher quality nets such as the excaliber. They are among the finest nets made. The sink fast, are soft so they open easily and they are extremely well made. We sell them here but they were on my short list of best quality nets way before that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I throw, i am usually throwing for shrimp or finger mullet. I dont' often throw for manhaden as I don't offshore fish much and it's hard to find good ones back in the creeks around here. (lots of small ones) Given the area I net in, I'll have to stick with the cheaper nets as I can only sew them up so many times before having to get a new one.
I am sure that the higher end nets have their place, and I agree, when throwing a poggie net, you've got to make that shot count. They are big and heavy nets. I have no doubt as to the quality of the excalibur, just dont' think my wallet could handle the snags on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I know what you mean about catching snags. There are several things that go into these nets of higher quality such the design and size of the horn, Braille and being handmade. All these factors add something to the net that either make it open better or sink faster.

The biggest factor that adds to the cost of any quality cast net is the amount of lead. From what I have learned, most people who use a cast net on a regular basis recommend a net with at least 1.5 pounds of lead per Ft. of net. Typically, the less expensive nets have only about 3/4 pounds of weight per foot. Bottom Line is that faster sinking nets catch more bait. I have a six ft. net with 3/4 pounds of weight and a 10ft net with 1.5 pounds of weight. Comparing the two the 6ft net practically seems to float as opposed to the 10 ft. net. If you throw on a snag you will make the same repair to a cheap net as to an expensive net. We had some very good discussion on the topic in this thread as well;

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f9/cast-nets-4500.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
What is a good mesh size for casting for shrimp and how do you identify shrimp from above and from shore (if Possible). I have great luck casting for finger mullet and can spot them easy but what about shrimp?

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I use a 3/8 mesh net for shrimp (same as I use for finger mullet). Best time to cast for them is around low tide - they will pop or fly across the surface when approached by boat. Also we make a "wake" and watch behind us as it heads to the shoreline - that will make them jump too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OK thanks all for the info, right now I have a 1/2" mesh and I figured that might be too big, as I usually catch the same sized finger mullet every time I cast for them. But if I am trying to get them from shore where can I try?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.