NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade my cast net. Using a beginners 4 footer in shallow water with sandy bottoms. Getting better tossing. Want to go with 8 to 10 footer. Just for bait fish for flounder fishing. Been fishing at the end of OIB some. Reading all the reviews I can find but just not sure. Thinking 3/8 inch netting and maybe 1 to1.25 lead and 8 foot but Old Salt from Walmart or spend around $200 for one of the "good ones". Would greatly appreciate learning from your experiences. I kind of enjoy using the net. Hope to make a once and done purchase. Don't want to waste money. Hope to find a good quality net for $100 or less that throws well. Fishing 3/4 days a week in the summer so using the net a lot. No boating.

Thinking of using the 4 footer in bays with oyster shells or around jetties.

New to the forum and enjoying very much.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Buy something in the 7' range.
Buy something you can handle.
Buy it from a local tackle store. ........

Cast nets won't last for ever if you keep throwing on oysters.
Flounders will jump all over a Gulp 3 & 4" shrimp, too. ........ ICM

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I would go 6-8 foot, 3/8", 1 pound of lead per foot... Under $100 if you are throwing it inshore where it could get messed up. I wouldn't spend the $200 on a really nice one unless it's for deep water where you know you won't lose it.

·
Banned
324 Posts
I agree with all posts above. Also anything above 7-8 foot will wear you out quickly throwing them over and over for shrimp or anything else. Don't shell out the cash for an expensive net if you will be throwing it around anything that will cause it to tear, as holes will show up quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.