NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I've fished a lot of Carolina surf over the years, I've never been to Fort Fisher. Heading to Southport for a few days with the (much) better half July 12. Planning to ferry over to the Fort one day with her and 4x4 down the beach. My question is where is a suitable location to cast net some bait? Near the ferry landing? The ramp past the ferry landing? Or are there some tidal pools along the beach itself?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Right now you can cast net right on the beach. The bait is there.
Anywhere around the boat ramp and back on the river side a long the wall or back up towards the ferry terminal.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Right now you can cast net right on the beach. The bait is there.
Anywhere around the boat ramp and back on the river side a long the wall or back up towards the ferry terminal.
Whaaaaaaa? What kind of bait is on the each right now other than glass minnows?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Could be grass shad near the surf. Seen a lot more schools of them than Haden this year. Then again I've hardly seen any Haden this year either... No mullet as well

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figure I'll try on the back side after getting off the ferry. Fishing Oak Island one day too. Pretty sure I know where to find some there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Plenty of green backs around but i doubt you'll net them in the surf. And I've only seen two pogie schools so far

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Turn left when you get off the ferry to the FF ramp. See lot's of bait in that bay. ....... ICM

Correction; Turn right not left.

Reactions: h2ohhh

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Oh yeah tons of mullet in the back waters right now and they are getting just big enough to net. But none on the beach

Reactions: h2ohhh

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
After you get on the beach, there are 4 crossovers (spread out over a few miles) cut thru the dunes where you can drive right up to the marsh side. Id say that would be your best bet and you wouldn't have to worry about snagging your net near the jetty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts