NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm just a casual fisher living in Cary who goes out on the lake with my son or some friends. Since we haven't lived here long, the only pool of water I know within our vicinity is Jordan Lake. We went there on our little row boat a week or two ago and got nothing. Last fall, however, we were catching everything - mostly catfish and some striped bass.

Are there any other lakes around here besides Jordan?
What types of lure/bait are most efficient? We've tried the Rat-L-Traps, spinnerbaits (with no luck at all), earthworms, and deep crankbaits... I guess they're all very easy to use and tie to the line, unlike plastic lures (which we haven't tried).
I hear that Crappies like minnows.. now how do we catch these little guys?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
301 Posts
some other good places to fish around that area is Falls Lake, Sharon Harris, Lake Tillery, High Rock Lake, and Kerr Lake just to name a few. I always fish crankbaits at Jordan, i have used a few soft plastics there but I mostly fish crankbaits. Best way to catch crappie is to find where the bait fish are and tie a large weight to your line and then tie 2 leaders off your main line and put minnows on and fish the bottom usually around 15-20 ft of water. Thats how I always fished for them at Sharon Harris.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Check out your local bait shop they should sell all the minnows you will need. Check out Cross Winds Marina on Jordan they have a ramp and sell plenty of tackle and bait.

tight llines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

We tried Harris Lake yesterday with our little raft, but came home empty handed. I guess it's just not the right time yet, especially with the water temperatures below optimal (I heard it was around 60-70)

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
When you say "little guys" I'm not sure if you're talking about the minnows or the crappies. Minnows are definitely best caught at a bait shop. A number of the gas stations around the lakes sell minnows. Usually $1.50-$2.50 a dozen. You'll need a $2 styrofoam bucket to keep them insulated. I suggest getting a 3 gallon plastic bucket with a lid to keep the styrofoam bucket in - it'll protect the foam bucket and make it last a lot longer. Can also be used to hold your catch if you like to keep them for eating.

Most of the year crappies are caught deep like BassManMartin said. During the spawning season (over the next few weeks) they do go up into shallow water 2-5' and you can catch them with minnows on bobbers around shallow brush if you can find it.

All the lures you mention will catch fish in the right time at the right place. The key is to stick with them through the learning curve until you find some patterns that work for you. I'd also suggest going with smaller baits to start with - it will open up a wider range of possibilities.

Topwater bass fishing should really take off in a couple weeks so make sure you're fishing up there too!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
There is a bait shop on hwy 42 right by the boat ramp exit.to Sheron Harris. Forget the name but can't miss it. If you are putting in this area.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Kerr Lake isn't too far from you, especially if you go to the Nutbush campground area near Henderson. Not sure, but I thin hwy 1 will take you to Henderson to get onto hwy 39 to go there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think Kerr is a bit too far away :p We'll just stick with Jordan and Harris, then... although I'd like to visit some of the smaller lakes or ponds, too bad they just seem no good if we are to cook the fish (afraid of high pollution - AKA think about Crabtree)

Anyways, I have another quick question. When do the fish come out to spawn? I've heard water temps between 60-70. So when is the water temp going to be rising to 60-70? May be a naive question, but we're going to getting steady air temps hovering in the 70s, so it may be as soon as next week?

Also, since we often (and pretty much can only) fish in the shallow, what are some good baits for water levels less than 5ft?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips! I haven't really had much luck with those spinnerbaits, but I only bought those cheap 2/1 dollar ones from Wal-Mart. Speaking of prices, I think lures and baits are WAYYY too overpriced.

Anyways, I think we're gonna be heading to Jordan or Harris this weekend. Any suggestions? Should we go to Jordan, Harris, or should we not even go at all due to the significant drop in temperatures this weekend?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.