NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch out!!!!

This week, one report from Tuckertown and one from Jordan Lake.

Catalytic Converters were "sawed off" of several pick up trucks.

Low life pukes.

Let me catch someone under the old black Super Duty.....he will get introduced to MR GLOCK.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Big $$ in catalytic converters. The have platinum in them now so they bring $80-$100 for scrap. I have a neighbor that came over and took all the old ones I had at the race shop from junkers I kept for parts. He took them in and split it with me a couple of months ago. That's how I know.
If there is a buck to be made someone will do wrong to get it! shame.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I know my daughters Olds needs a new one and I was quoted 260.00 yesterday. The silly mechanic told me they have gold in them and thats why they cost so much.

I guess platinum is close.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Big $$ in catalytic converters. The have platinum in them now so they bring $80-$100 for scrap. I have a neighbor that came over and took all the old ones I had at the race shop from junkers I kept for parts. He took them in and split it with me a couple of months ago. That's how I know.
If there is a buck to be made someone will do wrong to get it! shame.

Ding! 60-120 a peice depending on the size. and yes. trucks have bigguns.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ding! 60-120 apiece depending on the size. and yes. trucks have bigguns.
Whew -- my puny little Saturn would be both a less profitable and more uncomfortable target (lower to the ground) than all the big o'l honkin trucks there at the ramp..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That's ok Lefty. A couple of them methed up jokers can flip that thing right on its roof for easy access...:eek::D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's true, big bucks in converters. I have heard about it especially over in Durham where I work. Big bucks in copper too. We just had a couple of guys steal all the copper lines going to the chiller condensors a couple of days ago. They cut the lines even when they were under freon pressure. Someone also wiped out the new Salvation Army facility in Raleigh earlier this week. From what I understand they took everything from the facility including all of the internal wiring.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
LOL !! Zooker...not unless its BIGFOOT...

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am a little confused about these scrap catalytic converter prices. I looked on eBay and used scrap converters are selling for 30 to 100.00 advertised under the search word "scrap converter", however new ones, in some cases are selling for less money. Are newer model converters worth more money? Used worth more? Do some converters not contain platinum?Can someone please explain.

Thanks...Jim

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
IBig bucks in copper too. We just had a couple of guys steal all the copper lines going to the chiller condensors a couple of days ago. They cut the lines even when they were under freon pressure. Someone also wiped out the new Salvation Army facility in Raleigh earlier this week. From what I understand they took everything from the facility including all of the internal wiring.
I've seen news reports of copper thieves getting fried trying to extract electrical wiring under a mistaken assumption that the juice had been turned off. Just 'cuz a building has been abandoned for several months doesn't mean the power company has shut it down.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've seen news reports of copper thieves getting fried trying to extract electrical wiring under a mistaken assumption that the juice had been turned off. Just 'cuz a building has been abandoned for several months doesn't mean the power company has shut it down.
When you start mess'n around in main switch gears and panels trying to extract the buss bars you better make dang sure that the juice is off!

We dismantled and bunch of switch gears and panels in a facility that I was shutting down and had the buss bars stacked on several pallets, I don't even know how many thousands of pounds it was. Well, some one found out about it and backed a truck in there one night and loaded up everyone of those pallets of buss bars. The thieves even used our forklift!

·
Registered
464 Posts
the newer converters have I think more ceramic less platinum. Then again there are cats that the scraper wont buy, porsches, subarus I know and maybe a few other.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.