NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trying the float from The Lake James tailrace to Water Mill, or Water mill to the Greenway. I was wondering about the degree of difficulty, skill level, fishing, water levels with the the lack of rain. Anything that you would share will be appreciated. Send PM if you like.

Thanks
Darrell

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am thinking about trying the float from The Lake James tailrace to Water Mill, or Water mill to the Greenway. I was wondering about the degree of difficulty, skill level, fishing, water levels with the the lack of rain. Anything that you would share will be appreciated. Send PM if you like.

Thanks
Darrell
It's been a while since I ran the upper section below the dam. But it's mild. Much like John's River just wider near the bottom end. Good fishing btw. There's a web site run by the power plant that will tell you of release times. Usually around 9am I think? We put in around 8am or before and get down to about Muddy Creek and you notice the water come up some. It's gentle. Special regulated trout water so check the regulations. Got some smallies too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks, Crummy, Do you like the lower part better?

Are you still interested in making a float on the Johns late June or so?

Darrell
I like the upper part(below the dam). One word; Browns!

Yes, got lots going on now but middle June to July is looking good. That is also an excellent time of year in these rivers for smallies.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think more folks are floating the Catawba...I hear more guides are floating it in drift boats. Trout fishing has been pretty consistent in some of the areas downstream.

I know of a couple of folks that have had some issues in high, swift water and one fairly experienced paddler lost their kayak when it was pinned against an obstruction. So...always worth being alert to the hazards of "sweepers and strainers."

Seems like I recall hearing that with no generation there were a lot of shallows etc. With 1 unit working then floating was pretty good. But 2 units may be considered hazard flow rate.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've pulled my kayak up the river for almost 2 miles when the generators were turned off upstream of Watermill. I would have no interest whatsoever in floating this river when the just one generator is running due to the swiftness of the current. I would suggest going on a day when the water is off or when the water is shut off early and float the tail end of a release. Also, the bridge between the dam(Conley Bumgarner) and the boat ramp is not really a viable access for launching boats. I would allow a good 8 hours if the water is low. Its a long float. Some do overnighters.

This river can produce or it can be really tough, much like the Smith. I have no experience with the river in Summer months however.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I have learned i think I would be better foo floating from Watermill Bridge down to the Greenway, Thanks for the input Possomtail it is good to get first hand info.

Darrell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.