NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from the state yesterday.

Tips for Catch-and-Release Anglers to Keep Largemouth Bass Alive

Higher water temperature and lower dissolved oxygen levels in reservoirs and rivers during the summer can be especially deadly for that largemouth bass on the end of your line. Find out how to keep your fish alive to see another lure by following a few simple tips found in the B.A.S.S.-produced publication
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/documents/Keeping_Bass_Alive_Handbook.pdf

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
do you have a better explanation of the hook reversal technique?the article doesn't describe it good.
Going through the fish's mouth, gently grab the eye of hook with needle-nose pliers and gently guide the eye of the hook toward the last gill opening (closest to his throat). Try hard not to scrape any part of his gills. Then, grab the bend of the hook and continue to guide the eye through the gill opening.

The concept is by moving the eye to the side and backwards through the gill, it should essentially turn the hook upside down and unhook the fish. It's fairly easy if it's a big fish, smaller bass are a challenge (big fish = big mouth).

Some time back I started de-barbing all my softbait hooks and it makes the hook reversal a breeze. At first I lost more fish than I caught, but its easier on the fish, taught me to keep the line tight and to set the hook faster to prevent swallowing too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.