NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a small river near my house. It's a muddy river and it has a dam/waterfall in it. It's located between Wendell and Zebulon and goes under Wendell Blvd (bus. 64). I wanted to maybe catch some bait fish with a minnow trap and check it every couple of days or so. I would also like to catch crayfish too. I used to use canned cat food in a cray fish trap and always got a minnow or two. Would this river be a good place to try? If not, where is a good place to leave a trap?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I know where your talking about. It used to be "optomist park" or something like that. We used to go "parking" there back when I was in Highschool ( early 80s ) I have caught a few nice bream and stuff there years back. Just make sure you dont mark your trap with anything noticable or someone might see it and mess with it. Canned catfood mixed into a dough with cornmeal works good and draws crawdads and minnows.. It last longer than just catfood too. You get a small eel sometimes too and they are great bait as well.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Cool thanks. I will give it a try. I used to just punch a couple holes in a can of cat food and leave it in the trap. I've never tried to make a dough out of it. This should be fun.:D
Make sure you do it outside or the wife will send you to sleep with the fishies!!! Talk about stink...WOW!! The more you stir the stuff the worse it gets... Clean up with bleach in the water to get the smell off anything you use...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
i just can't get past the vizual of sundrop "parking" did ya have the "big hair"also??

ok who am i joking i had real big fro too...

zooker
LOL Zook...worse, I had Elvis hair then I had a mullet...LOL

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
There is a small river near my house. It's a muddy river and it has a dam/waterfall in it. It's located between Wendell and Zebulon and goes under Wendell Blvd (bus. 64). I wanted to maybe catch some bait fish with a minnow trap and check it every couple of days or so. I would also like to catch crayfish too. I used to use canned cat food in a cray fish trap and always got a minnow or two. Would this river be a good place to try? If not, where is a good place to leave a trap?

I've used white bread to good effect in my minnow trap for crayfish and fish.

I think the law says you have to put your name on your trap. Not sure but might want to check.

Been awhile since I used my trap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You get a small eel sometimes too and they are great bait as well.
I've seen these used as bait but caught a 18" one a couple of weeks ago, catfishing. Is there any special trick how to handle them or watch out for? I almost made the mistake of lipping a bowfin once, thankfully both the eel and the bowfin threw the hook and fell back into the water themselves.

Thanks,

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can't imagine Sundrop with any hair at all but I can see Zookers big bushy red head of hair, haha. I remember myself wearing huge bell bottoms and platform shoes. I know I had to look like a pimp.

Jim

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
tadpole, I look at old pics of myself and cant imagine it either..LOL
18yrs old 220lbs of muscle and hair ...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.