NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Started catching shad with a castnet this past winter and while I've never had a problem catching them I don't know much about them. A friend put me on them in the winter (south side of Ebeneazer bridge on Jordan) and I've always caught them their or at the 64 bridge or White Oak bridge. Do I catch them consistantly there because I usually have been fishing for crappie with a light out 'till I start casting for shad? I went with my taxidermists back in June at the Haw River section and we caught shad on a shallow point near Stinking Creek. I guess my question is what determines when and where you catch shad. The main reason I ask this is for when I fish other lakes. I went to Badin once this year and caught some at the Tuckertown Dam. We were at the Roanoke during the striper run and one day we went up to Roanoke Rapids Lake and Caught shad at the Dam, but went another morning and cast for an hour with only one shad... what was the difference and what determines where the shad are located. Any help/discussion would be appreciated and helpful.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Mmm.. tough question on bait finding... I do know that wind does play a factor in how bait move/feed and have myself fished areas where bait is pushed into coves and such by wind currents.. but unfortunately, that's all I know on that as I dont fish freshwater alot.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I know that folks catch alot of shad around the Ebenezer Bridge and I have been told the best time to catch them is before the sun comes up. The theory is that they're not spooked by the net as much in the dark. Just what I have heard from some Striper guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.