NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was on the start of a good bite, several topwater blow ups without hook ups. ( operator error ).
Did manage to calm down enough to catch one.
Then the storm came thru, shutting it down.
I was still seeing them swim by me.
Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? ........ ICM

Red & Trout 002.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can tell you that fresh water fish usually turn on right before the rain starts. The barometric pressure drop seems to kick them into high gear. Perhaps they know the water will get murky after a storm. Hard to say that all fish would react the same. A red fish is pretty comfortable with murky water but at the same time, a heavy storm for saltwater fish means a change in the salinity of the waterway. For instance, these storms we had the other day seemed to have run all the shrimp out of my favorite creek to fish.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I always thought that reds were very adaptable to salinity change, here's why. I am a native Floridian and spent the majority of my time fishing the St Johns River. The St Johns River flows South to North. I fished the Orange Park area all my life where the water was considered brackish.
During several bass tournaments I would hook reds as far south as Green Cove Springs. That said we would also shrimp from a dock in Green Cove Springs and fill the coolers. Occasionally someone would hook up with a flounder that far south. The water had to be less than brackish and more fresh water in that area as the St Johns River is a spring fed river.
I can also remember a huge bull shark being caught off a dock in Orange Park but I suppose that's not so rare.
Maybe in that area of Florida the fish just learn to adapt?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I always thought that reds were very adaptable to salinity change, here's why. I am a native Floridian and spent the majority of my time fishing the St Johns River. The St Johns River flows South to North. I fished the Orange Park area all my life where the water was considered brackish.
During several bass tournaments I would hook reds as far south as Green Cove Springs. That said we would also shrimp from a dock in Green Cove Springs and fill the coolers. Occasionally someone would hook up with a flounder that far south. The water had to be less than brackish and more fresh water in that area as the St Johns River is a spring fed river.
I can also remember a huge bull shark being caught off a dock in Orange Park but I suppose that's not so rare.
Maybe in that area of Florida the fish just learn to adapt?
Not saying that the fish don't adapt. Just that I noticed a change in the location of the bait. ICM could actually still see the fish moving past him and could not get them to take.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Understood. I am still learning the salt water scene myself. So far I have mastered catching everything I do not wish to catch :) I take that back, I have been catching small black drum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts