NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of European videos on Youtube about people catching mullet on hook and line with bread. They usually chum with bread first. Is this the same kind of mullet we have here? Might be kinda fun on light tackle and when not much else is happening. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I was actually talking to a fella about catching finger mullet on a hook and line and he mentioned that he's heard of old timers catching larger ones with bread. I caught some decent sized ones with a cast net last weekend so I believe it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You are asking about "hard head mullet" , aka striped mullet. These are not my words I just copied this from another forum.

"Ok so here's how we do it in the Everglades. We chum the water with old fashioned oats 1 large container mixed with a large container of garlic powder and enough water to make it stick. We put 1/2 this mix in the area we will fish to attract them. I use a size #1 three prong hook. I press any soft white bread onto the eye end of the hook, above the prongs. They usually feed off the bottom so we fish deep. Just wait. You have to be patient. They bite in a fast up and down motion. Like a jack hammer. We throw them onto the bank. On a good day we catch 20-50 fish a piece on a bad day as low as 3! No doubt you can catch these fish with a pole and bread."

Reactions: roostertail24

·
Registered
138 Posts
There was an episode of Carolina Outdoor Journal some time back where the guys were in freshwater way up an NC river catching striped mullet on fly tackle. They were throwing big fluffy white flies. I think they said they were trying to make them look like some kind of clam or mussel or something.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
my grandad used to catch "jumping" mullet on a rig like a sabiki rig under a bobber on a large cane pole... we would chum the water with outmeal and laying mash and pop his bobber rig back and forth and catch coolers full of mullet. lots of Floridians love to fry them or smoke them.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
There was an episode of Carolina Outdoor Journal some time back where the guys were in freshwater way up an NC river catching striped mullet on fly tackle. They were throwing big fluffy white flies. I think they said they were trying to make them look like some kind of clam or mussel or something.
seen mullet up at Gaston on the Roanoke , Brogden on the Neuse(sure they go higher) Buckhorn on the Cape fear and seen them below Blewett Falls so they go way up most rivers....they will sky out of the water several times in a row hence what we call them jumping mullet.... Have seens guys down on the neuse near Kinston wear them out on a standard bobber and redworm..they catch em by the bucketful in the summer but they stay until fall .....Mack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.